From Sonic Retro
|First seen: Flicky (1984)|
Role in the Sonic series
In four Sega Mega Drive Sonic games Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Sonic & Knuckles, members of Flicky species were imprisoned by Dr. Eggman for use as 'organic batteries' for his Badnik army. Sonic's goal is to free them from their Badnik shells, and also from the Egg Prison capsule that is found at the end of almost every boss fight. When using Tails' super transformation in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, he has four glowing yellow "Super" Flickies following him and attacking all surrounding enemies.
Flickies also make an appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog CD. After destroying the Metal Sonic holographic projector the present time will be inhabited by Flickies and/or other animals, depending upon the stage.
Flickies were also the central focus of Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island. In this game, an interdimensional breed of Flickies inhabit their own island - appropriately called Flickies' Island. However, they (surprise, surprise) are trapped inside robots by Dr. Eggman, and require Sonic's help. Other members of Flicky species are also introduced. Not only is their design different than the blue bird versions, but they also come in different colors. When rescued from their Badnik shells they follow Sonic around the same way the Chirps would follow Flicky in his game. Other mechanics were also similar, such as losing Flickies that happen to touch an Badnik or hazard, or losing them all if Sonic himself bumps into a Badnik or hazardous obstacle. The point system (extra points awarded for rescuing Flickies/Chirps together instead of one at a time) had the same principle, as well.
- Blue Flickies make a conscious effort to find Sonic. If they cannot find him, they fly around in a tight circle, making them easy to locate.
- Pink Flickies act largely like blue ones, but fly around in bigger circles if unable to find Sonic. In the Volcano Valley Zone in the Mega Drive version, the pink Flickies are replaced with bright orange, flaming Flickies, presumably due to colour palette limitations.
- Red Flickies constantly move between two close points, not making any effort to find Sonic. Their movement range is small, but they jump very high and can thus be hard to catch.
- Green Flickies wander randomly with no interest in finding Sonic, they even sometimes appear to try to avoid Sonic.
Various standard looking Flickies (coloured blue, red, orange, purple and green) fly around in the Sonic World level, from Sonic Jam.
Cocoa Island's Poloy Forest, of the Game Gear game Tails Adventures is shown to be inhabited with Flickies during the opening sequence - right before their larger cousins, the Battle Kukkus, set fire to the place.
Birds similar to Flickies play a role in the storyline of Sonic Adventure. Amy catches a blue bird after it falls from the sky. ZERO immediately gives chase to both. Later in the game the bird shows Amy a picture of two other birds, which appear to be members of its family. It turns out the two in the picture were entrapped in the robots E-101 Beta and E-102 Gamma. Fortunately Amy manages to reunite the three of them. The red bird that inhabited Gamma reappears as Sonic prepares to fight Perfect Chaos. In the Sonic X anime adaptation the blue bird is named Lily.
In other media
Flickies appeared in Sonic the Comic, often as a random Mobian but was phased out and featured less prominently in later issues. The comic also had a 3-part treatment of the Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island storyline. Robotnik used Flickies' Island as a base once he was ousted from power. He roboticised many of the Island's inhabitants and used them to launch attacks. He was thwarted however and his base on the Island was destroyed.
Flickies were also featured in the Archie Sonic Comic Book in an issue which covered the storyline of Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island.
Flicky was also shown in various other Sega games and non-Sega games.
- Teddy Boy Blues
- Flash Point
- Super Monaco GP - Flicky can be seen flying by at the end of the arcade game.
- Gunstar Super Heroes - Pink's stage paid tribute the the game as the player must guide yellow chicks to a door.