From Sonic Retro
|First course, Sonic R
|Level theme: tropical island
|Opponent: Metal Sonic
| Non-English names:
|Radical City →
Resort Island is the first course available for play in Sonic R, and is the easiest of the courses available.
Fulfilling the tropical island trope for Sonic R, Resort Island is a tropical island paradise with a nice blue sky, lots of greenery, a small forest, and a picturesque waterfall. At the start of the race, a large flock of Flickies (previously seen in Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island) will fly from the starting line to herald the start of the race. A loop-de-loop is featured right before the starting line, which can be walked around and ignored entirely.
Another landmark the player can find is a small village of huts which can be found by turning left after passing the waterfall. One of the huts in this village sports a Christian ichthys, a religious Easter egg placed by lead programmer Jon Burton, a practicing Christian.
The course houses one Chaos Emerald, and after collecting the five Sonic Tokens around the course (and finishing in the top three), the player can race against and unlock Metal Sonic. The music that plays in this course is "Can You Feel the Sunshine".
|It's a wonderful day for a race on this tropical island paradise. A nice blue sky, lots of greenery, a pretty waterfall...it's all here. Get too enchanted, though, and you might slip into the water or bump into a coconut tree. Take the time to hop around the smaller islands. Going for a little rock climbing is well worth the effort too.
— Sonic R US Saturn manual
Special item locations
The following are the locations of the Chaos Emerald and Sonic Tokens in this course:
- Blue Chaos Emerald: Open the 50-Ring Gate to the left of the Accelerator to enter a rock tunnel containing this Emerald.
- 1st Token: On top of the stone arch at the first turn from the starting line.
- 2nd Token: In a hidden path behind the waterfall.
- 3rd Token: Open the 20-Ring Gate in the village to enter a tunnel containing this Token.
- 4th Token: At the sharp bend after the village, ignore the bend and jump/swim over to the small islands.
- 5th Token: After passing the Accelerator, take the left path which leads up a hill to the fifth Token.