Blaze the Cat
From Sonic Retro
|Blaze the Cat|
|First seen: Sonic Rush (2005)|
|Height: 95cm (3'1")|
|Weight: "L-Like I'd tell you that." (from the chat with her)|
This article requires cleanup.
This article needs to be edited to conform to a higher standard of article quality. Specifically, issues with this article are:
Blaze the Cat (ブレイズ・ザ・キャット) is a fictional anthropomorphic cat in the Sonic the Hedgehog universe. Originating from the Sol Dimension, she made her debut in the Nintendo DS video game Sonic Rush in 2005 and has been a recurring character ever since.
- 1 Character conception
- 2 Appearances
- 3 Sonic Rush Manual - Blaze
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Voice actors
- 7 References
Blaze is introduced in Sonic Rush as an imperial princess (people often refer to her as a queen; however, she is referred to as a princess in the American and European versions) from an alternate dimension, where she acts as a defender of the Sol Emeralds. As her name implies, Blaze's main ability is pyrokinesis; the ability to control fire. Though she is alone in Sonic's world and painfully shy when meeting strangers, she will not let this prevent her from fulfilling her mission: to retrieve the Sol Emeralds and save her world from destruction. Her dimension and Sonic's are in flux with each other, allowing the characters to travel from one to the other through a tear in the space-time continuum. Blaze is the only playable character aside from Sonic himself, available after Sonic beats Dr. Eggman in the Leaf Storm Zone.
Throughout the game, Blaze learns the meaning of friendship from Sonic and friends, especially Cream the Rabbit. Cream opens her up to the world and teaches her the value of friendship: the two become close partners like Sonic and Miles "Tails" Prower, similarly to how Tails values Sonic as an older brother and hero, Cream similarly learns to idolize Blaze, if not more in a friendly way.
It is through the power of friendship that Blaze realizes the true powers of the Sol Emeralds, and she transforms into her Super State, Burning Blaze to help Super Sonic stop Eggman and Eggman Nega from taking over the universe. After Super Sonic and Burning Blaze defeat them, they promise to see each other again and say their goodbyes as they shake hands, being torn apart by their respectful dimensions being returned to normal. Blaze, still in a Super State, now understands her power and friendship, as she thinks on Sonic's words of advice.
Blaze's later appeared in the sequel to Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, again as a playable character. It's noteworthy that in this game, Blaze is shown as invulnerable to fire hazards. She has appeared as an amigo character in Sonic the Hedgehog and in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity as an unlockable racer. She also makes an appearance as a playable athlete in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games and its sequel.
Sonic Rush Manual - Blaze
Note: This section is verbatim from the Sonic Rush manual
Blaze the Cat
As guardian of the Sol Emeralds, she's currently hot on the trail of Dr. Eggman who's made off with them. Blaze is normally calm and level-headed, but may be concealing her real feelings. Devoted to her position, she sometimes gets bogged down by her own strict discipline, which may explain why she seems a little withdrawn.
A/B Button Use the A/B Button to jump and/or attack your enemies.
Axel Jump, R Button Simply jump and press the R Button in mid-air to dash forward above ground.
Down + A/B Button, release Down Hold the Control Pad Down while standing still, then press the A/B Button to spin, and release the Control Pad. Blaze dashes forward spinning, blasting enemies in her path.
X/Y Button Press the X/Y Button while Blaze is on the ground. This action is available as long as your Tension Gauge is charged.
Up + R Button Use the Springs or the Ramps to launch into the air, then press both the Control Pad Up and the R Button to perform a vertical hop, attacking enemies in the way.
Left/Right + R Button Use the Springs or the Ramps to launch into the air, then press both the Control Pad Left/Right and the R Button to perform a horizontal hop.
|| Trivia sections are bad|
Try and incorporate this information into the main article. See the manual of style to find out why.
In SEGA's Sonic '06 game script draft spreadsheet file, there are character profiles written in corresponding English and Japanese that talk of their personalities and some of their origins. It says in the end of Blaze's English profile, "She has a rather unique costume on under her cape, and it also seems that she is bothered by underendowed [sic] chest (comments on which will rouse her anger)." Since this doesn't come from the final script, it's possible that this was changed in later revisions.
- Sonic Rush
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
- Sonic Rivals (collectible card only)
- Sonic and the Secret Rings
- Sonic Rush Adventure
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
- Sonic Rivals 2 (collectible card only)
- Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (trophy)
- Sega Superstars Tennis (cameo)
- Sonic and the Black Knight (as Sir Percival)
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
- Sonic Free Riders
- Sonic Colours (Nintendo DS version only)
- Sonic Generations (console version only)
- Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
- Sonic Jump
- Sonic Dash
- Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
- Sonic Jump Fever
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U (trophy)
- Sonic Runners
- Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Sonic Forces: Speed Battle
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (spirit)
- Team Sonic Racing
- Nao Takamori (Japanese game voice (2005-present))
- Bella Hudson (English game voice (2005-2010))
- Laura Bailey (English game voice (2010-2016))
- Erica Lindbeck (English game voice (2019-present))
- Delphine Braillon (French game voice (2011-present))
- Greta Galisch (German game voice (2011-present))
- Carmen Ambrós (Spanish game voice (2011-present))
- Tania De Domenico (Italian game voice (2011-present))
- http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicChannel/character/blaze.html (archived: 2019-05-26 17:07)
- http://www.x-cult.org/games/39/Sonic_the_Hedgehog/1244/Game_Script/ (archived: 2016-08-20 09:23)