From Sonic Retro
|Developer: Backbone Entertainment|
|System(s): PlayStation Portable|
|Number of players: 1-2|
Sonic Rivals is a game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series, developed by Backbone Entertainment exclusively for the PlayStation Portable. This is the first Sonic game to be developed by a Canadian company, and the first to be released on the PSP.
It features 2.5D gameplay, as players scramble to reach the end of a level before the other players do (whether they are computer-controlled or live opponents). It otherwise plays very much like the older titles in the series.
There are 7 types of power-ups, fire, ice, mine, illusion, wind, ring magnet, and star. The effects of each one are different for each character, though generally have similar outcomes. For example: the Fire power-up gives the character a fire attack, the Ice power-up gives the character an ice attack, and the Star power-up gives the character a special attack specific to that character. The game features a revamped power-up system, including both offensive and defensive abilities.
Single player consists of a Story Mode, in which each of the four playable characters have separate story lines, and must race each other to the finish line in each stage in order to thwart Doctor Eggman's various schemes. Multiplayer mode is played ad-hoc, and players can customize their racers using collectible cards won in Single player, trade cards with friends, and wager cards on races.
Boss battles at the end of levels require you to not only defeat the boss, but also prevent your opponents from defeating it before you. Badniks are featured as enemies, though some are similar to those of Sonic Heroes.
Performing objectives throughout the game will give you collectible cards. Such tasks include getting a certain number of rings, hitting your rival a certain number of times and getting to the goal within a certain amount of time. Rivals features an extensive collectible card system that spans a total of 150 cards, featuring cameo appearances of robots, major characters, minor characters, box covers, and items from past Sonic games such as Sonic Heroes, Sonic Adventure, Shadow the Hedgehog, and even dating back to the original Sonic the Hedgehog. The cards themselves are used to unlock secret costumes for the characters among other things.
- Metal Sonic: To unlock Metal Sonic you must beat the game with Sonic, Knuckles, Silver, and Shadow (In no particular order).
- Blue Chaos Cup: Complete all challenges for Death Yard Zone.
- Cyan Chaos Cup: Complete all challenges for Colosseum Highway Zone.
- Green Chaos Cup: Complete all challenges for Forest Falls Zone.
- Grey Chaos Cup: Complete every challenge in the game.
- Purple Chaos Cup: Complete all challenges for Meteor Base Zone.
- Red Chaos Cup: Complete all challenges for Sky Park Zone.
- Yellow Chaos Cup: Complete all challenges for Crystal Mountain Zone.
- Knuckles Skin: Complete story mode with Knuckles.
- Metal Sonic Skin: Unlock Metal Sonic.
- Shadow Skin: Complete story mode with Shadow.
- Silver Skin: Complete story mode with Silver.
- Sonic Skin: Complete story mode with Sonic.
Error creating thumbnail:
|Main article: Sonic Rivals/Manuals|
- Project Director: Takashi Iizuka
- Project Associate Producer: Keith Palmer
- Art Supervisors: Kazuyuki Hoshino, Hiroshi Nishiyama
- Sound Supervisor: Jun Senoue
- Concept Design & Scenario: Takashi Iizuka
- Character Artwork: Kazuyuki Hoshino
- Producer: Taylor Miller
- Lead Engineer: Peter Phillips
- Lead Designer: Tyler Sigman
- Lead Artist: Chris Bourassa
- Senior Designer: Derek Tam
- Lead Level Designer: Eric Emery
- Lead Level Artist: Mabel Chan
- Effects Artist and Animation Coordinator: Daniel Lam
- Technical Artist: Eric Ronay
- Lead Animator: Karen Matskiw-Rodriguez
- Associate Producer: Zoë Curnoe
- Engineers: Aaron Koenig, Brian Provinciano, Chuck Chow, Clinton Blackmore, Devin Murnane, Francois Laberge, Greg Wilson, Jim Lao, Kelvin Tang, Luke Huang, Melina Eby, Richard Orth, Erwin Tang, Marcel Barker, Pete Thompson
- Designers: Cory Hasselbach, Kyle Mohammed, Nick Letizia, Richard Knight
- Artists: Aaron Parrott, Beth Dewhirst, Brent Kirby, Erik Larsson, John Mah, Kate Freeman, Kim Sawula, Shane Holmes
- Animators: Chun Sin Loh, Duncan Lin
- Front End Artist: Mark Pearce
- Additional Design Assistance: Josh Zisserson, Michael K. Donovan
- Studio Quality Assurance: Tom "MrLuigi" McGarry
- Testing Provided by QA Labs: Justin Bruckal, Chris Love
- Music Composition: Chris Rezanson
- Sound Effects Design: OMNI Interactive Audio, Alistair Hirst, Robert Ridihalgh, Daylon Walden, Tom Smurdon, Chase Combs, Lisa Elliott Cobb
- Senior Producer: Ivan Allan
- Assistant Producer: Jarett Metcalfe
- Studio Head: Joe Bonar
- Technical Director: George Phillips
- Creative Director: Trent Ward
- Art Director: Ryan Slemko
- Business Development: Jim Sink
- Senior Engineer (CORE Engine Team): Ian McLean
- Senior Engineers (Reaper Engine Team): David Aldridge, Issac Bender, Tanio Klyce, Peter Phillips
- Engineers: Rocco Balsamo, Dan Halpern, Benn Herrera, Chris Marsh, Ian Sherman, J. Wilburn
- Senior Technical Artist: Norm Badillo
- Technical Artists: Mike Badillo, Glen McKnight, Justin Rosenthal-Kambis
- Senior Designer: Aaron Keppel
- Design-Scripting: Chris Opdahl, Marty Newcomb, Joe Morrissey, Dan Miller
- Technical Director: David R. Sullivan
- Creative Director: Micah Russo
- Studio Head: Mike Mika
- COO: Larry Kelly
- Senior Producer: Steven Kovensky
- PR/Marketing: Nicole Tanner (Communications Manager), Sandra Lew (Communications Assistant)
- CEO: Naoya Tsurumi
- President/COO: Simon Jeffery
- VP of Product Development: David Cobb
- Associate Producer: Jason Kuo
- Technical Director: Jez Sherlock
- VP Marketing: Scott Steinberg
- VP Sales: Sue Hughes-Taigen
- Director of Marketing: Don Mesa
- Product Manager: Yosuke Moriya
- PR: Dana Whitney (One PR)
- Creative Services: Jen Groeling, Heather Luchetti, Bridget Oates
- Head of Operations: Tom Dudley
- Online: Chris Olson, Michael Dobbins
- Mastering Lab: Rey Buzon, Andrew Byrne, Rhianna Kellom
- Production Specialist: Heather Lucchetti
- Graphic Designer: Marco Garcia
- QA Manager: Deni Skeens
- QA Supervisor: Joshua Morton
- Senior Test Lead: Shawn Dobbins
- Assistant Leads: Michael Baldwin, Anthony Banks, Ben Seto
- Testers: Alice Grunstra, Amber Crouch, Christian Sutton, Dane Day, Emily Sheafe, Fernando Arce, Gabriel Parulis, Jacob Holub, Jeremy Bell, Loren Watson, Marvin Hom, Terence Destouet, Tim Erbil, Teresa Guest, Tony Sato
- Compliancy Test Lead: Stephen Akana
- Compliancy Assistant Lead: Lawrence Mann
- Compliancy Testers: Steve Fleming, Joe Floyd, Jason Mahar
- CEO: Naoya Tsurumi
- President/COO: Mike Hayes
- Development Director: Gary Dunn
- Creative Director: Matt Woodley
- Director of European Marketing: Gary Knight
- Head of External Development: Jim Woods
- Head of Development - Localization: Kuniyo Matsumoto
- Localization Producer: Ben Barker
- Director of Brand Marketing: David Miller
- European PR: Lynn Daniel, Kerry Martyn, Alistair Hatch
- Senior Brand Manager: Mark Fisher
- Assistant Brand Manager: Claire Brummell, Michele Dix
- International Brand Manager: Ben Chalmers-Stevens
- Publishing Manager: Nathalie Ransom
- Head of UK Marketing: Tina Hicks
- UK Product Manager: Grant Gie
- UK PR Manager: Stef McGarry
- UK Trade Marketing Manager: Clare Davis
- Legal Counsel: Nicola Steel, Mark Bennett
- Licensing Manager: Nivine Emeran
- Operations: Mark Simmons, Caroline Searle, Natalie Cooke, Michelle Blake
- Creative Services: Tom Bingle, Alison Warfield, Morgan Gibbons, Akane Hiraoka, Arnoud Tempelaere
- Head of Online Services: Justin Moodie
- Online Marketing Manager: Mike Evans
- Online Development Manager: Nina Ahmad
- Online Creative Manager: Bennie Booyson
- Web Designer: Bennie Booyson
- Head of Development Services: Mark Le Breton
- Localization Manager: Marta Lois González
- Localization Coordinator: Giuseppe Rizzo
- Translators: Daniela Kaynert, Brigitte Nadesan, Maria Chironi, Luis Paredes Gómez, Jay Bannmüller, Antonella Marras, Carole Kunzelman, Antonio Catanese, Sebàstian Pérez Salguero
- Mastering Group: John Hegarty, Roy Boateng, Jigar Patel
- QA Supervisors: Marlon Grant, Stuart Arrowsmith, Julie Metior
- Senior Team Lead: George Cover
- Assistant Team Lead: Mark Cant
- Testers: Leon Stuart, Kasim Rehman, Jamie Bailey, Colin Blenman, Lee Heir, Michael Husbands
- Standards Coordinator: Mohammed Ajaib
- Assistant Standards Coordinators: Justin Amore, Mike Hanley
- Standards Testers: Peter Leung, Shiva Allari, Nicky Koetze
- Language Coordinators: Jean Baptiste-Bagot, Sven Wittmaack
- Language Testers: Stephane Ramael, Joe Hellman Juan Perez
- Special Thanks to: David Allen
- Voice Directors: Christopher Collet, Julie Rath
- Production Coordinator: Salvatore Oppedisano
- Recording Engineers: Suzy Goldish, Paul Grassini, Mike Knoblauch, Alon Namdar, Questar Welsh
- Special Thanks: Tom Zuber, Matt Osness, Bob Baffy, Jessica Sigman, Darren Tarnoff, Paul and David Chan, Lily, Kitty Tang, Marty Hasselbach, Carla St. Pierre, Tara Mustapha, Mary Jane, Teruko Mizuki, Audrey Bourassa, Lisa Poh, NeoGaf, Andrea, Tony Rodriguez, Lindsay Morris, Matthew Fortini, Geraldine Kor, Kim Keskinen, Conner Fan, Carlin, Nicole, Karl and Natalie, Coleco and Brooke, Brynn, Beejey Enriquez, Mina Provonsha, Aya Takeuchi, Lee Brotherton (Remix Factory), Sonic Committee
- Presented by: Sega Corporation
- Manual Documentation: Greg Off
- Manual Design: Tim Lindquist (a.s.h.)
|64||Sonic Retro Average|
|Based on 2 reviews|
- https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-ULUS10195_00-SONICRIVALS01PSP (archived: 2018-04-28 23:48)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0177-ULES00622_00-PPCSONICRI000002 (archived: 2018-04-28 23:50)
- https://store.playstation.com/fr-fr/product/EP0177-ULES00622_00-PPCSONICRI000002 (archived: 2018-04-28 23:50)
- https://store.playstation.com/de-de/product/EP0177-ULES00622_00-PPCSONICRI000002 (archived: 2019-02-21 21:40)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP0177-ULES00622_00-PPCSONICRI000002 (archived: 2018-04-28 23:50)
- gamepro, issue 220, page 97
- ops2uk, issue 80, page 101
|Sonic games for the following systems|
|2006 Sonic Rivals | Sega Genesis Collection 2007 Sonic Rivals 2 2009 Sega Fun Pack: Sonic Rivals 2 & Sega Genesis Collection 2011 Double Rivals Attack Pack!|