From Sonic Retro
(Redirected from Hard Boiled Heavies)
|Hard Boiled Heavies|
|First seen: Sonic Mania (2017)|
|Members: Heavy King, Heavy Gunner, Heavy Shinobi, Heavy Magician, Heavy Rider|
The Hard Boiled Heavies (ハードボイルドヘビーズ), abbreviated as "HBH", are an elite squadron of Eggrobos built by Dr. Eggman who appear in Sonic Mania. The Hard Boiled Heavies themselves were just ordinary Eggrobos that were modified by the mysterious power of the Phantom Ruby they were sent to excavate to represent certain themes and to hold more firepower, though the power seems to have loosened a few of their screws, granting them free will.
During concept stages, Christian Whitehead came up with the Hard Boiled Heavies after imagining Eggman entering depression after the events of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles. Instead of going after Sonic, he would merely lounge about at home wearing his pyjamas, and that a group of abandoned Eggrobos would go "a little mad". The term "Hard Boiled Heavies" came to mind after thinking about this concept.
The Hard Boiled Heavies were first encountered as ordinary Eggrobos who excavated the Phantom Ruby at Angel Island Zone. Throughout Sonic Mania, the Heavies would engage Sonic, Tails and Knuckles in boss battles, usually at the end of Act 2 in place of Eggman (the Heavy Gunner being the exception, as he is fought in Act 1), though each character only gets to fight four of them in a normal playthrough. Much later on in Titanic Monarch Zone, Eggman masters control of the Phantom Ruby and uses it to further transform the Heavies into "Phantom" versions that attack the heroes during the final battle against the Phantom Egg.
After the game's events, the Heavies were defeated and left for scrap at Angel Island Zone. However, the Heavy Magician had survived, and kickstarted the conflict of Encore Mode by swiping the Phantom Ruby from under Sonic and Mighty/Ray's noses and passing it to the Heavy King, reviving the Heavies and repeating most of the events of Mania Mode as bosses.
- Heavy Gunner - Armed with a missile cannon, he is fought in Studiopolis Zone Act 1 as a mini-boss.
- Heavy Shinobi - Armed with Asterons and an icy katana, he is fought in Press Garden Zone Act 2 as a boss.
- Heavy Magician - With illusory tricks up her sleeve, she is fought in Mirage Saloon Zone Act 2 as a boss, and ambushes the heroes during Act 1.
- Heavy Rider - Riding around on a Motobug named Jimmy, she is fought in Lava Reef Zone Act 2 as a boss when playing as Sonic and Tails.
- Heavy King - The leader of the Hard-Boiled Heavies. Fought in Lava Reef Zone Act 2 as a boss when playing as Knuckles. He is also fought in Egg Reverie Zone when Sonic has collected all the Chaos Emeralds.
In other media
|This short section needs expansion. You can help Sonic Retro by.|
|Sonic Mania / Sonic Mania Plus|