From Sonic Retro
|Games: Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2|
|Type: Chao mini-game|
|Number of players: 1-4|
Chao Race is a Chao-based mini-game found in the Station Square Chao Garden in Sonic Adventure and in the Chao Cave in the Normal Garden in Sonic Adventure 2, and is the first Chao-based mini game later joined by Chao Karate in Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.
In this game, Chao race each other in a giant race course with water, cliffs, and winding turns. The goal is to be the first Chao across the finish line in each course. Prizes vary, but are usually toys for Chao to play with, but they can also include the all-important Emblems. The player has little input over the race, but they can press to encourage their Chao to move faster at the cost of some of its stamina. If a Chao runs out of stamina, it will become fatigued and slow down tremendously.
Stats help determine how Chao perform certain tasks. Speed is the Chao's running ability, Fly is its gliding ability, Swim determines its swimming ability, Power is shaking trees and climbing walls, and Stamina is how much energy the Chao has to burn. There are two invisible stats known as Intelligence and Luck. Intelligence is increased by having the Chao attend Kindergarten in order to be smarter and make smarter decisions at puzzles, and Luck is raised or lowered by playing with the Chao and determining its luck in certain situations such as a jack-in-the-box.
There are numerous race courses at numerous levels, depending on the game:
By completing the Beginner Races, the player will unlock the Jewel Races. Completing each Jewel Race earns the player an Emblem and allows the player to challenge Chaclon, an expertly-trained Chao, on repeat attempts.
|Race||Course 1||Course 2||Course 3||Course 4||Course 5|
Sonic Adventure 2
The Beginner Race is available from the start, and by completing all the levels in a course is the Chao awarded with a toy, and the player being awarded an Emblem if they win all the courses along with the other races being unlocked. The Jewel Races will award the player's Chao with a toy for them to use when all the levels in each course are completed, with up to six Emblems being awarded to the player when each course is fully beaten in the Dreamcast version, or only one Emblem when all courses are fully beaten in the GameCube version and the 2012 re-release.
A Hero Chao cannot participate in Dark Races whereas a Dark Chao cannot participate in Hero Races, but Neutral Chao can participate in both races. Emblems are awarded when all of their respective races are beaten, along with toys for the Hero and Dark Gardens.
|Race||Course 1||Course 2||Course 3||Course 4||Course 5||Course 6||Levels|
|Beginner||Crab Pool||Stump Valley||Mushroom Forest||Block Canyon||3|
|Hero||Baby Devil||Child Devil||Death Troops||Devil Vs Angel|
|Dark||Baby Angel||Angels||Flying Angel||Angel Vs Devil|
On the final round of the Hero Race, it shows a Devil Chaos Chao grinning and with different eyes. This is impossible as Devil Chaos Chao don't have mouths and their eyes are always fully open.
The Challenge Races are special races that pit the player's Chao against special opponents on selected courses from the Jewel Race. Completing these races will unlock toys for the normal Chao Garden and eventually an Emblem. These races include:
- Challenge! The strong Gold and Silver rivals! - The player's Chao races against seven Gold and Silver Chao on the Diamond course.
- He returns - The player's Chao races against Chaclon and six weaker Chao on the Diamond course.
- I'm trying! - The player's Chao races against seven Omochao on the Peridot course.
- Small animal challenge - The player's Chao races against seven Small Animals on the Peridot course.
- Horrible! Cockroach Chao group - The player's Chao races against seven Onyx Chao with antennae on the Onyx course.
- Oh, my egg! - The player's Chao races against seven Egg Chao on the Onyx course.
- Be afraid! Skeleton group - The player's Chao races against seven Chao wearing skulls on the Hero Race version of the Diamond course.
- Be afraid! Pumpkin group - The player's Chao races against seven Chao wearing pumpkins on the Hero Race version of the Diamond course.
- Be afraid! Ghost group - The player's Chao races against seven Chao with no legs and fire above their heads on the Hero Race version of the Diamond course.
- He strikes back - The player's Chao races against a faster Chaclon and six weaker Chao on the Diamond course.
- Kid's troops Chao ranger - The player's Chao races against five Shiny Chao with animal parts on the Diamond course.
- Here comes the ultimate rival! - The player's Chao races against a single Chaos Chao on the Diamond course.
In addition to Emblems and medals, the following toys can be awarded. The Beginner and Jewel Races award toys for the winning Chao to use only, while the Challenge, Hero and Dark Races award toys that all Chao can play with.
|Beginner Race - Crab Pool||Shovel||Chao|
|Beginner Race - Stump Valley||Watering can||Chao|
|Beginner Race - Mushroom Forest||Rattle||Chao|
|Beginner Race - Block Canyon||Toy car||Chao|
|Jewel Race - Aquamarine||Sonic doll||Chao|
|Jewel Race - Topaz||Broom||Chao|
|Jewel Race - Peridot||Picture book||Chao|
|Jewel Race - Garnet||Pogo stick||Chao|
|Jewel Race - Onyx||Crayons||Chao|
|Jewel Race - Diamond||Bubble-blowing set||Chao|
|Challenge Race - Race #4||Ball||Normal Garden|
|Challenge Race - Race #8||Jack-in-the-box||Normal Garden|
|Challenge Race - Race #12||TV||Normal Garden|
|Hero Race - Race #2||Ball||Hero Garden|
|Hero Race - Race #4||Rocking horse||Hero Garden|
|Dark Race - Race #2||Ball||Dark Garden|
|Dark Race - Race #4||Radio||Dark Garden|
|Sonic Adventure / Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut|
|Sonic Adventure 2 / Sonic Adventure 2: Battle|