From Sonic Retro
Error creating thumbnail:
|Sonic Adventure 2|
|Second dark storyline level, Sonic Adventure 2|
|Level theme: ancient ruins|
|Secondary level theme: underwater|
|Mission 1: Find 3 pieces of the Master Emerald!|
|Mission 2: Collect 100 rings!|
|Mission 3: Find the lost Chao!|
|Mission 4: Collect the Emerald pieces in 3 minutes 30 seconds!|
|Mission 5: Clear Hard Mode!|
|← Iron Gate | Sand Ocean →|
Dry Lagoon is the second stage in the Dark storyline of Sonic Adventure 2 and the first stage playable with Rouge. It represents Rouge's attempt to find Master Emerald pieces that were scattered after Knuckles smashed it.
Rouge steals the Master Emerald from Angel Island and Knuckles follows her to a desert area near Eggman’s base. Just as the two are mindlessly talking and throwing taunts to one another, Eggman shows up on his way to his base after his confrontation with Shadow, mistaking the Master Emerald’s sign for a Chaos Emerald. Even though Eggman recognizes it as not being the emerald he’s looking for, he still tries to take it away with him, figuring that he could use it for something. Knuckles jumps and smashes the Master Emerald to pieces, before Eggman manages to escape and the Doctor flees the scene befuddled. After a small squabble with Knuckles, Rouge sets off to find the Master Emerald shards, since she thinks all the jewels in the world are for her to keep.
Dry Lagoon is supposedly located in the desert, yet it’s full of grass and greenery, with several Egyptian references and wind currents as well. The level shares similar objects with Knuckles' Wild Canyon, for instance stone apartments and giant statues holding boxes.
The major gimmick of this level is the turtle that helps Rouge travel between the two main areas.
Other level specific-objects are shallow pools that can be dug into, small wind currents generated by swarms of butterflies which allow you to float, palm trees and obelisks that can be climbed, jars that can be smashed, patterned containers that can be destroyed and eggs and skulls that can be picked.
Dry Lagoon is divided into two major sections, plus four secret rooms (the fourth of which has no natural entrance, and no exit at all).
The first section is called "Small Oasis" (Tiny Oasis) and it’s where Rouge first starts. It’s composed of two major levels, the bottom floor where a shrine-enclosed pond is and a high upper one, which is GUN’s storage area. After Rouge destroys the two Gun Hunters that are guarding a turtle at the bottom floor, it will drag itself to the pond. Rouge can stand on the floating turtle’s shell and travel from one section to the other, back and forth.
The second section is called the "Huge Oasis", consisting mainly of a large pool of water. It branches into two hallways opposite each, the "Three Head Wall" area to the left and the "Statue’s Pool" area to the right, in terms of the position Rouge first arrives from the turtle. There’s also another swimming turtle in the huge pool, which will take Rouge to the “Oasis Prison”. To return from "Oasis Prison", Rouge only needs to go with the water flow but can also catch a ride with the turtle once again.
Dry Lagoon mirrors Knuckles’ Wild Canyon in many ways: both are Egyptian themed to a certain degree, both are near the beginning of the story, and the two stages are shaped identically (except for the outcropping that forms the Oasis Prison, and the fact that the two main areas are positioned laterally across from each other in Dry Lagoon, instead of one above the other like in Wild Canyon).
- Beetle series: Gun Beetle, Gold Beetle
- Hunter series: Gun Hunter (Normal Mode), Laser Hunter (Hard Mode)
- Rhino series: Rhino Cannon
- The level specific animal (third Chao container) is a Unicorn.
- There are 12 small animals in the level, even though Rouge's counter is supposed to top out at 10. After the tenth animal, the game will give an extra life and the number will blink red like usual; when the eleventh and twelfth subsequently collected, additional lives are awarded and the counter (which remains 10) will blink red again as well.
At the beginning, destroy the Gun Hunters and ride the turtle to the "Huge Oasis". There, dive underwater and catch a ride with the swimming turtle. Halfway the water current tunnel you'll see Big's tail and part of his behind poking out of the sand behind a piece of wood. In Hard Mode he can be found in this same area, though he's more close to the beginning of the tunnel.
- Small Oasis: On the right ledge, close to the painting.
- Small Oasis: Next to a stone apartment, located in the GUN's storage area, northeast.
- Three Head Wall area: On the right pillar.
The Gold Beetle in this level is almost impossible to see, and quite difficult to destroy, but it is there. It's just outside of secret room 1, which you reach by digging through the painting concealed by steel containers in GUN's storage area at the top of the Small Oasis. This room is divided into two halves by a mystic wall down the center, which can be dispelled by using the mystic shrine found nearby. The Beetle is behind the right-side wall on the far half of the room, and can be destroyed with a Screw Kick from close to the wall. It may help to play the Mystic Melody from as far away as possible, to avoid accidentally getting close enough to the beetle that it appears before you've raised the mystic wall, and hence would likely disappear by the time you can reach it.
From where Rouge first starts, climb the south wall to the GUN's storage area. Destroy the metal containers, dig through the painting into secret room 1, use Mystic Melody, and go through the warp hole to secret room 3 where the Chao awaits.
Master Emerald shards - Hard Mode
|#1||The highest Emerald.|
Above the small oasis.
Try breaking the wooden container on the ledge in front of GUN's storage.
|#2||Dig for the Emerald to get it.|
In the sky above the small oasis.
Dig a hole in front of the Emerald by the huge wall painting.
Put it on underwater.
- The first shard is at the very top of the Small Oasis. Climb the south wall to the second ledge. There, destroy the wooden container in the middle of four black containers, which contains a spring, and glide at the highest point you can to reach the emerald shard.
- The second shard is also in the Small Oasis, almost directly beneath piece 1. You can either get a significant distance above it and attempt to hit it with a Drill Drive, as a butterfly current prevents you from dropping onto it otherwise, or else to the the large murals on either the left or right sides of the room. In the center of each mural is an emerald symbol; digging into one of these symbols causes you to hit a hidden spring behind the wall, which shoots you directly into the piece.
- The third shard is in the Huge Oasis, and is easiest to get with the help of the Treasure Scope. Put on the Treasure Scope either from on the turtle or after gliding forward to the ground in front of you, then run off into the water without pressing the A button (as doing so would remove the Treasure Scope). Use B to sink down slightly below the surface, and you'll see a spring on the underside of the Oasis Prison. This spring will shoot you into the piece.
Rouge's Mystic Melody upgrade can be found in this level, though the Pick Nails will usually be a prerequisite to finding it. It's in secret room 2, accessible by digging through the painting located below the first eastern wall ledge, in the Small Oasis.
Error creating thumbnail:
|Main article: Sonic Adventure 2/Comparisons/Dry Lagoon|
|Sonic Adventure 2|