From Sonic Retro
Materials are collectable objects that appear in Sonic Rush Adventure and the Nintendo 3DS version of Sonic Lost World. "Material" is the somewhat overly-generic term to describe Sol Dimension and Lost Hex substances that are useful in constructing naval vessels, RC Vehicles, buildings and other useful constructions.
Sonic Rush Adventure
Tails picks up a book from Marine the Raccoon at the start of the game, which describes how to combine "metals and jewels" together to make boats. Over the course of the game, Tails uses Material to construct four principal watercraft, as well as other frighteningly complicated machines like the Magma Hurricane. It is up to Sonic and Blaze to collect as much Material as they can by clearing Acts and defeating bosses.
Material comes in various forms:
- Blue Material: Sapphire-like crystals; found in Whale Point and most Hidden Islands.
- Iron Material: Hearty chunks of grey metal; found in Whale Point and most Hidden Islands.
- Green Material: Verdigris rocks with spiral patterns; found in Plant Kingdom.
- Bronze Material: Rusty hexagonal artifacts; found in Machine Labyrinth.
- Red Material: Spiked shards of crystalline coral; found in Coral Cave.
- Silver Material: Electrically charged, shield-shaped ingots; found in Haunted Ship.
- Aqua Material: Chunks of cyan ice; found in Blizzard Peaks.
- Gold Material: Precious metal from the floating city; found in Sky Babylon.
- Black Material: Spherical metallic cannonballs; found in Pirates' Island and Big Swell.
The player receives a certain amount of Material after completing a large island Act (excluding Whale Point), based upon the Rank the player receives:
- "S" Rank - 4 Materials
- "A" Rank - 3 Materials
- "B" Rank - 2 Materials
- "C" Rank - 1 Material
Sonic Lost World
In the 3DS version of this game, Tails uses Material to create RC Vehicles and/or "upgrade" Tails' Lab (which is essentially making the lab bigger in size). There are a total of ten different types of Materials in the game:
- Green Material: Found in Windy Hill.
- Yellow Material: Found in Desert Ruins.
- Blue Material: Found in Tropical Coast.
- White Material: Found in Frozen Factory.
- Iron Material: Found in Silent Forest.
- Black Material: Found in Sky Road.
- Red Material: Found in Lava Mountain.
- Bronze Material: Found in all worlds, Special Stages and the Eggrobo fight.
- Silver Material: Found in Special Stages and the Eggrobo fight.
- Gold Material: Found in Special Stages and the Eggrobo fight.
The player receives a certain amount of Material after completing a Zone, based upon the Rank the player receives:
- "S" Rank - 15 Materials + 3 Bronze Materials
- "A" Rank - 10 Materials + 1 Bronze Material
- "B" Rank - 7 Materials
- "C" Rank - 5 Materials
- "D" Rank - 3 Materials
|Sonic Rush Adventure|
|Sonic Lost World|
|Items in the Sonic the Hedgehog Game Series|
|Collectibles||Ring | Red Star Ring | Emblem | Chaos Drives | Material|
|Power-ups||Shield (Water, Lightning, Fire, Gold) | Invincibility | Power Sneakers | Rocket Shoes | Propeller Shoes | Eggman Mark | Combine Ring | Forcejewel | Power Core | Light Cores | Special Combination|
|Level Objects||Monitor | Spring | Spikes | Checkpoint | Time Warp Plate | Signpost | Goal Ring | Giant Ring | Capsule | Button | Bumper | Speed Booster | Air bubbles | Chao container | Item Panel|
|Powerful Items||Chaos Emeralds | Super Emeralds | Master Emerald | Time Stones | Chaos Rings | Precioustone | Sol Emeralds | Jeweled Scepter | World Rings | Excalibur | Phantom Ruby|
|Weapons||Piko Piko Hammer | Chaos Energy Cannon | Caliburn | Wispon|
|Devices||Remote Robot | Combi Confiner | Mother Computer | Nega's Camera | Arks of the Cosmos | Miles Electric|
|Other||Chili Dog | Speed Down Boots | Scepter of Darkness | Cacophonic Conch|