From Sonic Retro
|First seen: NiGHTS into Dreams (1996)|
|Created by: Naoto Ohshima|
NiGHTS is the protagonist of NiGHTS into Dreams... (Sega Saturn), Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams... (Sega Saturn) and NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams (Wii), games developed and published by Sega's Sonic Team. The character has made several cameos in the Sonic series.
Designed by Sonic's creator Naoto Ohshima, NiGHTS is a member of the genderless "Nightmaren" species who inhabit the world of dreams, and helps out children who come there in their sleep. NiGHTS wears a purple jester style hat and outfit, with a diamond-shaped red jewel on their chest.
A mischievous free spirit, NiGHTS was created by the evil Wizeman in the realm of nightmares, but rebelled against their creator's attempts to conquer Nightopia. NiGHTS' gameplay is based around flying, and the character has a variety of aerial skills, including the creation of portals called 'paraloops'. As a creature of the dream world, NiGHTS is capable of transforming into a variety of different shapes on collecting 'persona masks' in Journey of Dreams.
Relation to Sonic
Because of their shared creators, NiGHTS makes occasional appearances in a number of games in the Sonic series. In most cases, NiGHTS simply appears briefly in a cameo role of dubious canonicity.
- Sonic Adventure: NiGHTS appears in a card-themed pinball table in Casinopolis, and in the missions, NiGHTS' picture can be seen on a small billboard next to Tails' Workshop. In the Chao Garden, the Fly Type Chao resembles NiGHTS.
- Sonic Shuffle: NiGHTS replaces Lumina Flowlight when the Dreamcast's system date is set to December 24th (Christmas Eve). If the date is set to April 1st (April Fools Day), Lumina is replaced with Reala, NiGHTS' rival. Both characters still use Lumina's voice clips, however.
- Sonic Adventure 2: In the City Escape stage, billboards and posters depict ads for the NiGHTS Hotel, which can be seen in the skylines of Shadow's Radical Highway stage. In the Chao Garden, the Neutral Fly Type Chao resembles NiGHTS.
- Sonic Pinball Party: This game features a pinball table with many elements from NiGHTS into Dreams, while in the story NiGHTS helps Sonic free Amy and Tails from Dr. Eggman's hypnotism. This is the only game where NiGHTS actually interacts with Sonic.
- Shadow the Hedgehog: A billboard of NiGHTS can be seen to the right of where Shadow begins the Lethal Highway stage as soon as he lands on solid ground.
- Sonic Riders: This game has NiGHTS' first playable cameo in the Sonic series. NiGHTS' Extreme Gear board is called the Night Sky. Sections of the SEGA Carnival and SEGA Illusion courses feature elements from NiGHTS into Dreams.
- Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity: In the sequel to Sonic Riders, NiGHTS returns as an unlockable playable character. Also, in both the 80's Boulevard and 90's Boulevard courses, you can see signs advertising NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams.
- Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing: NiGHTS appears as the flagman at the start and end of a race. Steve Lycett of Sumo Digital said that NiGHTS could potentially become a DLC character if the game became successful, but SEGA announced that there will be no further DLC after the release of Metal Sonic and Death Egg.
- Sonic Generations (Nintendo 3DS): Due to Radical Highway from Sonic Adventure 2 being included in the game, the NiGHTS Hotel can again be seen in the background.
- Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed: NiGHTS and Reala appear as playable characters who, unlike other characters, literally transform themselves into the vehicles. Their drivers are a Nightopian and a Goodles Nightmaren respectively.
- Sonic Lost World: A NiGHTS-themed level, Nightmare Zone, appears as DLC that is included with "Deadly Six Bonus Edition" copies of the Wii U version, and included for free in the PC version. It's a boss rush stage based on the first encounters with each of the Deadly Six, but themed on bosses from NiGHTS into Dreams. NiGHTS also flies alongside Sonic in the Windy Hill portions of the level.
- Sonic Runners: NiGHTS, Reala, a Nightopian and an Ideya appeared as equippable Buddies during two of the promotional events for the game. When they were equipped, the music would change.
- NiGHTS article on Wikipedia.