Difference between revisions of "Meteor Herd"
From Sonic Retro
|Line 37:||Line 37:|
Meteor Herd shares some of
Meteor Herd shares some of outer space themes with [[Rouge]]'s [[Mad Space]].
==[[Sonic Adventure 2 enemies|Enemies]]==
==[[Sonic Adventure 2 enemies|Enemies]]==
Revision as of 16:39, 31 December 2012
|Fourteenth hero level, Sonic Adventure 2|
|Level theme: outer space|
|Mission 1: Find 3 pieces of the Master Emerald!|
|Mission 2: Collect 100 rings!|
|Mission 3: Find the lost Chao!|
| Mission 4: Collect the Emerald pieces|
in 4 minutes30 seconds!
|Mission 5: Clear Hard Mode!|
Meteor Herd is the fourteenth stage in the Hero storyline of Sonic Adventure 2 and the fifth and last stage playable with Knuckles. It represents Knuckles's attempt to find the Master Emerald pieces that spilled from the ship the heroes used to travel to the ARK.
Halfway through the heroes’ trip in space, the cargo bay of the shuttle opens and the Master Emerald shards that were being kept there are released onto outer space. After unsuccessfully trying to stop the shuttle right then, Knuckles disembarks with the others at the ARK but immediately sets off to the outside of the colony, to search for the shards.
Meteor Herd takes place on the outside of the ARK (just like Rouge's Mad Space), but inside some kind of protective barrier. It appears to be modelled after many classic Sci-Fi, especially those set on Mars.
The major gimmicks of this level are the falling meteorites that will aim randomly around the area where Knuckles is with explosive impacts, light blue meteorites that can be used to open cubic containers and locked doors around the central structure and lighter gravitational pull, which allow Knuckles to jump higher and glide further. The meteorites that can be punched should take a special mention, since they will travel farther as the strength of the punch is: stand next to it and punch it will tilt it a bit, running to one and punch it will send it flying.
Other level-specific objects are yellow bulldozers, blueish-grey towers, moon and star signs, rotating beacons, light blue cubic containers that can be destroyed, some containers may be floating due to the low gravity and small red and grey level specific containers that can be punched.
Meteor Herd is divided into three major sections.
The first section is an arena in the lowest height of the level, with ground in different colours and see-through floors that allows seeing the bubbling lava below and leaving Knuckles' detailed footprint on it's surface for awhile as well. To the north is a grey ground area where loading dock 0-1 is, to the west is a yellow ground area where loading dock 0-2 and 0-3 are, both very close together, to the south is a red ground area where loading dock 0-4 is, on which Knuckles first starts, and to the east is a yellow ground area where loading dock 0-5 is. There’s also a central structure in the middle that raises up, which will lead to the platform section.
The second section is a platform section, which is filled with large and rectangular ones, along with small and square ones as well. There will be two important areas to take notice here: one is the northern region which will appear on the right after letting go of the rocket and that as two containers stacked together; and a larger one, the southern region which will appear to the left after letting go of the rocket and that has lots of containers in rows. In one of the highest platforms, the one on the left, there will be a rocket that will lead to the ARK section.
The third section is the ARK area, with two major height levels, each with four attached platforms. There are some small and square platforms as well, along with two sealed containers. There's a Mystic Melody on the platform opposite to the one Knuckles arrives if he takes the rocket, which warps to the right sealed container, if Knuckles is facing outer space. There's another as well, which will warp to the left one.
- Beetle series: Gold Beetle
- Artificial Chaos: Articifial Chaos P-1, Artificial Chaos Float Type
- Hornet series: Hornet-3 (Normal Mode), Hornet-6 (Hard Mode), Phoenix (Hard Mode)
The level specific animal (third Chao container) is a Phoenix.
Head left around the central tower until you're between loading docks 0-2 and 0-3. Upon turning to face the tower now, you'll see 3 square pipes come out and extend a long way below the floor. Go up to the glass section of the floor, and look through it, hoping to catch Big hanging onto the left side of the center pipe. Even if the camera has the correct view of the shot, you may have to reposition yourself as Big's location is at the very edge of draw distance and may well escape past that distance depending on your location. In Hard Mode he switches places and it's currently unknown.
- Ground level: Inside the shovel of a bulldozer, close to dock 0-4.*
- Central structure: Behind one of the blinking doors, directly in front of dock 0-4.*
- Platform area: Inside the front and left container, on the large container area.*
*Not present in Hard Mode.
The Gold Beetle can be found on the ground level, inside the cube between dock 0-4 and the four rotating beacons. The box needs to be destroyed with a meteorite from afar.
Master Emerald Shards - Hard Mode
|#1||Use a meteorite that flies when you hit it!|
Try throwing a meteorite at the blinking door near the moon symbol.
The top of the steel beam.
Try getting to the suspended spring!
|#3||Wear sunglasses on the moon.|
The inverted blue tower.
Beyond the rings that you see using sunglasses on the moon.
- The first shard is behind one of the blinking doors, facing platform 0-5 and the one to the left. Throw a meteorite at it to get rid of the door.
- The second shard is in the air, close in height to the two containers stacked together, northeast, exactly above the cubic container near dock 0-1. In the platform with a spring, there is a steel beam with an extra life, and putting the sunglasses here will reveal a spring that will lead to another and from this to the emerald shard. It can also be obtained by gliding into it's location or dropping onto it from the wide-open space above.
- The third shard is in the air as well, on the ARK area, close in height to the edge of the lower level. In the platform with a moon symbol and a Hornet Phoenix, using the sunglasses will reveal a spring that when hit will send Knuckles down a direction of rings, which will lead to the emerald shard. It can also be obtained by gliding into it's location.
- Recommended upgrades: Mystic Melody
From where Knuckles first starts, hit the spring on the Central structure and then use the rocket. As Knuckles lets go of the rocket, glide left and catch the other rocket towards the ARK. Climb to the highest level of the ARK and go to the platform with the Mystic Melody, which is opposite to where he's sent to. Activate it and jump the warp holes to access the sealed containers.
Knuckles' Sunglasses upgrade can be found here, though the Hammer Gloves will usually be a prerequisite to finding it. It's in a room underneath the central structure, accessed by activating a switch behind the blinking door that faces dock 0-1.
Differences between Dreamcast and GameCube version
- A spring was added on the small platform with the moon on it that the player lands on after using the first rocket in the GameCube version.
- There is an unused rail in the level. It's invisible, but if the player hacks and chooses to play as either Sonic or Shadow, they can use it. It starts on the tall structure in the middle. The player must go the middle set of girders, and go to the middle of the girder on the right (as seen from the starting point). (video)
- There is an Artificial Chaos hidden inside the cubic containers on loading dock 0-3. If you stand on top of the container long enough, it will fire lasers at you and try to attack you with its arms. It can be destroy by hitting the container with the meteorite beside it. The container will explode and a chao drive will be left behind.
|Sonic Adventure 2|