Sonic the Hedgehog 057 (IDW)
From Sonic Retro
| Sonic the Hedgehog (IDW) #57|
"Urban Warfare, Part 1"
|← Previous issue | Next issue →|
Sonic the Hedgehog #57 is the fifty-seventh issue of the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series by IDW Publishing.
|“||With Surge finally out of their quills, the Restoration turns their attention to bringing down the Eggperial City. It’s growing, volatile, and dredging up the surrounding environment… Jewel sends Sonic, Tangle, and Whisper to investigate, but it unearths some unwanted reminders of the past.||„|
Urban Warfare, Part 1
At Eggperial City, the Restoration sent the new Diamond Cutters Tangle the Lemur, Whisper the Wolf, and Lanolin the Sheep with Sonic the Hedgehog to investigate the place. After checking for death traps and patrolling Badniks, Sonic and Tangle rush in to Whisper and Lanolin's dismay. In the base, Sonic makes note that the badniks are spread thinner than the last time he was here. When Tangle was being attacked by the Red Eye, Lanolin saves her with her bell Wispon. Then she yells at Sonic, asking if he forgot the plan. Flashback to the Restoration HQ, Jewel the Beetle assembled a meeting with the new member Lanolin. They explain that they are building a rapid-response team to help protect the world. Sonic asks Whisper how she's doing after her fight with Surge the Tenrec, and she just simply says she's fine. Lanolin says she wants to take the team to Dr. Eggman's new base to prepare a way to bring it down. Sonic asks what the team name should be, Tangle votes for the Diamond Cutters. Lanolin likes the name but Whisper is upset by it. Lanolin tells Sonic she has been looking forward to working with him for a long time. Sonic says he doesn't think they met but Lanolin reminds him they met back at Riverside town in Sonic the Hedgehog 002 (IDW).
Back in the present, Sonic tells Lanolin that "slow n sneaky" isn't his thing. Lanolin asks Whisper to use the green hover Whisp to send a device over the city for collecting data. They realize the city is getting bigger despite the lack of construction equipment around them. Sonic uses the green wisp to travel into the sky and sees that the spot where Metal Sonic wrecked the initial escape plan had not only been repaired but it's like they never even crashed. It seems that not only is the city getting bigger, it's healing itself. Sonic mentions that they should check out the underground tunnel network Belle the Tinkerer told him about. Down there they realize the city is strip-mining everything. If they don't stop Eggman, the whole world could be paved over. Sonic even admits this makes the Death Egg look bush-league. Lanolin wants to go back to the Restoration HQ but Sonic warns her that city would only be bigger by the time they return. While the Diamond Cutters were arguing, a portal opens up. Something Sonic and Tangle previously saw in Sonic the Hedgehog 37-40. They try to make a run for it but the Diamond Cutters fall-in, leaving Sonic to have to call for help.
- Story so far: A brief recap of events that have happened in previous issues, reprinting relevant panels.
- A quick reference guide to new readers about the characters, providing data files on Sonic, Jewel, Tangle, Whisper and Lanolin.
- Sonic Letters Squad: Reader letters and artwork, with replies from the comic staff.
- Creator Corner: An interview with a member of the comic staff. This issue interviews Min Ho Kim.
- Raw artwork of each of this issue's variant covers.
- Story: Ian Flynn
- Art: Adam Bryce Thomas
- Colors: Matt Herms
- Letters: Shawn Lee
- Editors: Riley Farmer, David Mariotte
- Special thanks to: Mai Kiyotaki, Michael Cisneros, Sandra Jo, Sonic Team, and everyone at Sega for their invaluable assistance
- Cover artist: Min Ho Kim (Cover A), Adam Bryce Thomas (Cover B), Nathalie Fourdraine (Cover RI)
- Cover colouring: Reggie Graham (Cover B)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #57 on IDW: US
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 https://prhcomics.com/book/?isbn=82771401521805711 (Wayback Machine: 2023-02-08 18:11)