From Sonic Retro
The Winter Zone is a scrapped level in Sonic 2 that was supposed to reuse many recolored graphics taken from Brenda Ross' Dust Hill Zone, but with the desert elements replaced by christmas trees and other such items.
The Winter Zone was supposed to be a palette swap of Dust Hill according to an interview with Brenda Ross. Her answer to question 20 is as follows:
|| The desert zone was as you see in that image, with cactus and assorted plants. It was designed to have a palette change, which turned the sand into snow, and you’d have a winter scene. We had to be fairly ingenious with such a limited palette. In the winter zone, (that’s what I call it), instead of cactus, I had created Christmas trees, which I thought looked kinda cool.
According to Tim Skelly, not many of the winter-exclusive items were completed before it was canceled.
The idea of a winter zone was not forgotten though, and was used in Sonic 3's IceCap Zone.
| Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)
Main Article (KiS2)
Music: OSV / OST
Cheat Codes (KiS2)
Welcome to the Next Level
To see all print and TV advertisements, visit the Advertisements page.
Enemies and Obstacles
Scrapped Enemies and Obstacles:
These are cheat codes which can be accessed by inputting button sequences or by various other methods.
Note: in cheat codes, + signifies that the buttons must be held simultaneously.
For a list of all codes, see Cheat Codes:Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit).
- Zone Select: Play tunes 19, 65, 09, 17 on the options screen, + on title screen.
- 14 Continues: Play tunes 01, 01, 02, 04 on the options screen. An incorrect sound command is issued, causing OOZ music to continue playing until a reset.
- Super Sonic: Play tunes 04, 01, 02, 06 on the zone select sound test, an emerald sound triggers, select zone, hold until Sonic appears.
- Debug mode + Slow-motion/Restart: Play tunes 01, 09, 09, 02, 01, 01, 02, 04 on the zone select sound test, a ring sound triggers, select zone, hold until Sonic appears.
- Super Sonic + Debug: Play tunes 01, 09, 09, 02, 01, 01, 02, 04, 01, 02, 06 on the zone select sound test, a ring sound triggers after 04 and an emerald sound triggers after 06, select zone, hold until Sonic appears.