Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Beta 5 for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis was released by drx during the February 23rd, 2008 proto release. It is also known as S2BETA5.
This is the first version with the final title screen style (choice between 1 and 2 player); it's also the last without an Options selection on it. It uses the old Sonic 1 style level select with the same zone names as Beta 4, but the level select appears behind Sonic and Tails. Sonic on the title screen turns black when you go into the level select.
- Level select is activated with + .
- Debug is activated by holding when selecting a level at the title screen.
- Debug can also be activated by holding when you die.
- Debug can also be activated by holding when a level begins.
- The title screen is identical to the final, but the trademark symbol is missing. This is the last prototype with the trademark symbol missing.
- The "Sonic & Miles "Tails" Prower" screen says "Sonic & Miles" or "Sonic & "Tails"" depending of the console's region.
- As in Beta 4, debug mode is present, but in the debug counter only. You can't turn into anything.
- It is not possible to transform into Super Sonic without hacking, even with all 7 Chaos Emeralds.
- Sonic no longer dies if he touches spikes while invincible.
- Hidden Palace is still missing, it's still listed on the level select screen but selecting it does nothing.
- In Level Select menu, the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 logo covers zone list.
- The item placement in Aquatic Ruin Zone isn't complete.
- Metropolis Zone Act 1 does not have an end level panel, leaving it impossible to finish.
- Wing Fortress Zone is different in the beginning, and contains a cheap death in which you are pushed off the starting platform. This is the last beta where it is different from the final.
- In Death Egg Zone, it is possible to run completely past Robotnik's mech before he gets in, debug not required. If you die, he'll keep doing whatever it is he was doing.
- In the ending (ending is available in this version) after Tails catches Sonic on the wing of the plane, they fly off to the right and then the game starts over.
- In the Special Stage, the "Not Enough Rings..." sound is different from the final and remains that way through Beta 6; it was erroneously the "Cool!" sound in Beta 4. In the final, that sound is used in Casino Night Zone boss.
- Some of Sonic's sprites are different from the final game's.
- Sometimes, when performing a Spin Dash, Sonic will do it with the running animation.
- A silly Chemical Plant Zone glitch related to the camera scrolling after death is in this beta.
- In the boss arena of Oil Ocean Zone's boss, the oil acts as a bottomless pit.
- In Sky Chase Zone, stand on a turtle, and Sonic can scroll off screen if you wait.
- When Tails gets hurt and lands in Sonic and Tails mode, he uses Sonic's height properties.
The different text in the "Sonic & Miles "Tails" Prower" screen.