From Sonic Retro
The Goal Ring is an item in the 3D Sonic the Hedgehog games. It is the 3D equivalent of the signpost and ends the stage when a player makes contact with it. Goal Rings are technically Giant Rings, however they are not treated as such as their purpose is to teleport the player to a Special Stage.
- In Sonic Adventure 2, the Goal Ring resembled a giant ring with a flashing symbol reading "GOAL".
- In Sonic Heroes, there was a small revolving star inside the Goal Ring.
- In Shadow the Hedgehog, they actually are massive rings, but if it's any Action Stage that's not Lethal Highway, Cryptic Castle, Central City, The Doom, Sky Troops, Mad Matrix, Death Ruins, Iron Jungle or Lost Impact, then the Goal Ring would be a Chaos Emerald.
- In Sonic Advance 3, the Goal Ring is much smaller and contains a star.
- In Sonic Rush, the Goal Ring is identical to Sonic Heroes.
- In Sonic Unleashed, the Goal Ring has a big red star inside.
- In Sonic Colors, the goal ring is identical to Sonic Unleashed.
- In Sonic Generations, in conjunction with the signposts for Classic Sonic, the Goal Ring appears at the end of the Modern Sonic stages.
- In Sonic Lost World, the Goal Ring is used in Two-Player Races.
Other Goal Rings
There are also Back Rings in Sonic Heroes and Sonic Adventure 2 so you could restart the entire Action Stage if you didn't collect a certain object. They appeared in the same place a Goal Ring would. In Shadow the Hedgehog, they are replaced with Save Point Teleporters.