Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Mega-CD prototype; 1993-07-12)
From Sonic Retro
(Redirected from Sonic the Hedgehog CD (prototype; 1993-07-12))
|Sonic the Hedgehog CD v0.70
|Prerelease of: Sonic the Hedgehog CD
|System: Sega Mega-CD
|Build date: 1993-07-12
|Found by: PACHUKA (first copy), drx (second copy)
Sonic the Hedgehog CD build v0.70 is a prototype of Sonic the Hedgehog CD for the Sega Mega-CD, named because the original discs date themselves to July 12, 1993 and one of the known copies of this prototype is labelled "v0.70". This is a later build of the game that is near completion, but is still unfinished in places and has some differences.
Two copies of this prototype have been found. The first copy was released by Phugolz (PACHUKA) at some point in the early 2000s and dubbed the "712 prototype". While originally dumped as a BIN/CUE, the original disc has since been sold and is now lost.
A second copy of the prototype was much later discovered and acquired by drx of Hidden Palace in conjunction with The Cutting Room Floor, along with several other prototypes of Sonic CD and other Sonic games, and dumped as part of "Sonic Month 2019" from October to November 2019. This prototype, along with the other Sonic CD prototypes, was released to the public on October 26, 2019. Though three files on the disc have some differences, this copy is otherwise identical to the previously released copy.
|Main article: Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Mega-CD prototype; 1993-07-12)/Comparisons
| This article needs cleanup.
This article needs to be edited to conform to a higher standard of article quality. Specifically, issues with this article are:
This section needs moving to the comparisons page(s)
After the article has been cleaned up, you may remove this message. See How to Edit a Page for help.
- There is no rock at the end of Act 2 to stop you in your tracks.
- The background parallax in the Past glitches out at the top of the stage near the end of each Act.
- The mini bumpers that surround the yellow point cups make the same sound as the large bumpers when collided with.
- PCM-based sound effects such as the bumpers don't work in Act 3.
- The outdoor background in the Good Future is still different. The sky is black, the mountains are darker, and the foliage is less refined.
- The end of the upward transport tube near the robot transporter in Act 2 has a group of large platforms at the end, stopping you from flying right into the transporter. They were removed in the final.
- The bouncy floor doesn't make any sounds.
- The angel statue in the Past of Act 1 is a solid object and doesn't give you rings.
- Act 3 has an arrangement of rings before the boss that spell out "CD". This arrangement is replaced with a pyramid of rings in the final.
- The capsule at the end of Act 3 is sunken into the floor a bit.
- Parts of the foreground in the Past are blue instead of yellow.
- The sky in the Bad Future is constantly flashing red.
- There is no spring in the way of the goal in Act 2.
- The boss music doesn't start during the intro to the Metal Sonic race. It instead begins when the race starts and plays throughout.
- The background parallax in the Good Future of Act 3 glitches out near the end of the race.
(source: The Cutting Room Floor)
(first copy from Secrets of Sonic Team)
|Download Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Mega-CD prototype; 1993-07-12)
File: Sonic_CD_(712_Beta).rar (17.24 MB) (info)
|Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Mega-CD prototype; 1993-07-12), prototype version of Sonic the Hedgehog CD
|Sonic the Hedgehog CD