Sonic: Night of the Werehog
From Sonic Retro
|Sonic: Night of the Werehog|
|Studio: Marza Animation Planet|
|Running time: 11 minutes|
Sonic: Night of the Werehog is a short produced by Marza Animation Planet (called Sega Sammy VE Animation Studio and Visual Entertainment R&D Dept. at the time) before the release of Sonic Unleashed. The video debuted on the official Sonic Unleashed website as a streaming video. In Japan, the short is titled Sonic & Chip: Kyoufu no Yakata (ソニック＆チップ 恐怖の館).
It starts off with two young boys sneaking into a haunted mansion. Something sneaks up on the boys and scares them, then takes their picture. The perpetrators are two ghosts: Wu, a skinny one that wears a bandanna, and Su, a fat one that wears a bow tie. They take pictures of a person after they have scared them in order to show them to Lah, a female ghost who in the fan community was dubbed as Ghost Girl. She takes great pleasure from seeing the scared faces of boys.
One night, Sonic the Hedgehog and Chip enter the mansion to get out of the rain. Su and Wu then get into a scaring war in order to win the affection of Lah. Chip is easily frightened by the two ghosts, who take many pictures of him. However, Lah becomes unimpressed when she sees the pictures of Sonic, who seems to be not frightened and is instead photobombing. She then demands that her cohorts scare Sonic for her.
The ghosts try and fail many times at scaring Sonic. Things become even more complicated when Sonic turns into the Werehog. After being utterly humiliated by the Werehog, the two ghosts set aside their differences and band together to get back at Sonic.
They disguise themselves as one big green ghost and attack Sonic. They can also make themselves invisible, making it harder for Sonic to attack them. Chip realizes that taking a picture of them makes them visible. Sonic tries to use their camera against them but doesn't succeed. He then gets knocked out and his picture is about to get taken by the ghosts. However, the odds turn in Sonic's favor when the ghosts lose their concentration while fighting over who gets to take the picture. They lose their disguise and Sonic can see them. He then attacks them and punches them out of the mansion.
During all this, the camera takes one picture of Sonic which Lah finds. She then falls in love with the Werehog.
When Sonic and Chip are leaving, Chip acts rather strangely and wants to take a picture of himself and Sonic in front of the mansion. In the side, the two ghosts are watching. Behind them is another Chip tied to a chair. After the picture develops, it is shown to be Lah disguised as Chip while the real Chip is tied up inside the mansion.
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English||Sonic: Night of the Werehog||Sonic: Night of the Werehog|
|Japanese||ソニック＆チップ 恐怖の館||Sonic & Chip: Kyoufu no Yakata|
- Director: Takashi Nakashima
- Produced by: Takeshi Itou
- Executive Producers: Okitane Usui, Hisao Oguchi, Kouichi Fukazawa, Hideki Okamura
- Production Manager: Kei Miyamoto
- Line Producer: Masahito Imamura
- Supervisor: Shinji Aramaki
- Art Director: Shinji Usui
- Character Supervisor: Jun Masuda
- Supervising Animator: Jiro Yamagishi
- Lighting Supervisor: Takuya Hada
- Director of R&D: Jun Saito
- Supervising Technical Director: Masayuki Tanaka, Kengo Takeuchi
- Cast (Character Voices) - Japanese: Junichi Kanemaru, Tomokazu Seki, Ryouko Shiraishi, Kevin Glenz, Ryan Drees, Momoko Ishikawa
- Cast (Character Voices) - English: Jason Griffith, Tony Salerno, Kevin Glenz, Ryan Drees, Momoko Ishikawa
- Music by: Tetsuya Takahashi
- Sound Design/Mixing Engineer: Kouji Kasamatsu
- Character Design: Illustrators unit Gurihiru
- Sculptor (Maquette): Masanori Yoshida
- Editor: Ryuji Miyajima
- Pre-Production: Tomokazu Takahashi, Minoru Kusakabe, Naozumi Yamaguchi
- Art: Hiroaki Ueno, Hiroyuki Kinoshita
- Modeling: Kenichi Nishida, Toshiya Umeda, Satoshi Kounosu, Takayuki Hayama, Emiri Minagawa
- Sets: You Amano, Yoshihiro Hanado, Kazushige Hayakawa, Yutaka Yamaki, Hideyuki Higashi
- Sufacing: Takahiro Arakawa, Hideaki Makinouchi, Satoshi Takahashi
- Rigging: Kiminori Kuano, Kenou Hakamaya, Tatsuya Akagi, Ayako Sakurai, Tomohiro Hanawa, Yoko Ukai, Kengou Nukizono
- Animation: Yusuke Sakai, Tsuyoshi Tanaka, Takaaki Kise, Tatsunori Tomiyama, Yoshimasa Kimura, Tomokazu Sakamoto, Hideyuki Kinoshita
- Effects: Shuntaro Furukawa, Wataru Kitamura, Daisuke Satoyoshi
- Lighting: Satoshi Tomatsu, Tsubasa Nakai, Hirokazu Ayukawa, Tomoya Kowase
- Software Development: Seymour Wakisaka, Mio Tagiri, Tomoaki Saito, Gaetan Guidet, Yoko Sano, Tatsuya "Cap" Syuzui, Tomoya Matsumura, Takamasa Matsunari, Maes Marcelo Morales, Shouma Hosaka, Yusuke Ishikawa
- System Administration: Yuji Umeki, Toru Iwata, Yusuke Yanagisawa, Yukari Imai, Tsuyoshi Ando
- Project Assistant & Director Assistant: Tomohiro Mitsui, Ayano Fukuda, Naomi Tsujishita, Rumi Osagawa, Noriaki Hashimoto, Miho Ogawa
- Special Thanks: Akinori Nishiyama (Sonic Team), Yoshihisa Hashimoto (Sonic Team), Sachiko Kawamura (Sonic Team), Tadashi Takezaki, Toyokazu Hattori, Akira Aoyama, Atom Kobayashi, Mana Nakano, Kousei Kimoto, Shin Kageyama (I'm enterprise), Akiko Nakahata (A&K Corporation Ltd.), Takuya Ohno (TOHOKUSHINSHA FILM CORPORATION), Eriko Kimura (TOHOKUSHINSHA FILM CORPORATION)
- Source: Ending credits
|Sonic the Hedgehog||Jason Griffith||Jun'ichi Kanemaru|
|Sonic the Werehog||Jason Griffith||Tomokazu Seki|
|Chip||Tony Salerno||Ryōko Shiraishi|
|Lah||Momoko Ishikawa||Momoko Ishikawa|
Allusion in Sonic Unleashed
There is some reference to the short in Sonic Unleashed. In various scenes, Chip takes pictures of events and places he comes across. The camera he uses is the same one from Night of the Werehog. There were also a couple of missions where you had to search for the two ghosts from "Night of the Werehog".
US Full Short
JP Full Short