From Sonic Retro
- This page is about South Island as a storyline location. See South Island (Sonic the Fighters) for the stage named after it.
South Island (サウスアイランド) is an island which featured prominently in the early Sonic the Hedgehog games, especially in 8-bit outings. It is located somewhere in the Pacific, however it cannot be located on any map due to the island's habit of drifting across the ocean.
South Island first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Mega Drive, and later appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and Sonic Chaos for the Sega Game Gear and Sega Master System. Its next appearance was in Sonic the Fighters, an arcade game. Its newest depiction to date was in Sonic Forces, where a deserted rendition of the Green Hill Zone is the first level, as well as the sixth, eighth and sixteenth level.
Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit)
In Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic finds that the evil Dr. Eggman built a base on the island and turned the local residents into robots to aid in his search for the legendary Chaos Emeralds. The heroic hedgehog collects the Emeralds first, stops Eggman and chases him off the island.
- Green Hill Zone, grassy plains with lakes and waterfalls. This Zone has appeared in several other Sonic games as well.
- Marble Zone, ancient ruins half-sunk in lava.
- Spring Yard Zone, an urban area with pinball bumpers and springs.
- Labyrinth Zone, an underwater maze.
- Star Light Zone, a highway-like city area.
- Scrap Brain Zone, a heavily industrialized area which serves as Eggman's base.
Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit)
The story in the 8-bit Sonic the Hedgehog is the same as in the 16-bit one, and the games most likely depict the same adventure.
- Green Hill Zone, sporting the same verdant fields as in its other appearences.
- Bridge Zone, a long bridge over a river.
- Jungle Zone, a rain forest with wild rivers and vines.
- Labyrinth Zone, the same submerged ruins as in the 16-bit game.
- Scrap Brain Zone, the Doctor's industrial stronghold.
- Sky Base Zone, a large, weaponised zeppelin made by Eggman.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-bit)
In Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Eggman returns and kidnaps all the inhabitants, along with Miles "Tails" Prower, demanding a ransom of six Chaos Emeralds to return them. Sonic goes out to stop him once again, and succeeds.
- Under Ground Zone, a volcanic mountain, once used as a mine.
- Sky High Zone, the top of a mountain that reaches the clouds.
- Aqua Lake Zone, a lake surrounded by fountains and pillars.
- Green Hills Zone, very like the one from the previous games, but with normal trees instead of palm trees.
- Gimmick Mt. Zone, one of Robotnik's metallic bases, apparently set inside a mountain.
- Scrambled Egg Zone, a mountain filled with large pipes, and another of Robotnik's bases.
- Crystal Egg Zone, a transparent crystal base of Robotnik's. Can only be accessed if you have all six Chaos Emeralds.
In Sonic Chaos, Eggman steals one of the Chaos Emeralds on South Island and as a result, the rest of the Emeralds become unbalanced and cause the island to slowly sink into the ocean. However, Sonic recovers all the Emeralds and saves the island.
- Turquoise Hill Zone, a grassy hillside area, much like Green Hill Zone.
- Gigalopolis Zone, a sprawling urban area with various passages. The Game Gear version spells it as "Gigapolis Zone".
- Sleeping Egg Zone, a mostly flat region of plains, with Eggman's self-portrait adorning parts of the background.
- Mecha Green Hill Zone, Robotnik's version of the Green Hill Zone, with deathtraps strewn everywhere.
- Aqua Planet Zone, a group of ruins partially submerged in water. Despite the name, there is actually very little water.
- Electric Egg Zone, another of Robotnik's many large bases.
Sonic the Fighters
- Main article: South Island (Sonic the Fighters)
In Sonic the Fighters, South Island is one of the battle arenas. It is the very first arena in story mode, and is where the player character faces Knuckles the Echidna. The arena is set on a small island plateau, in an area that looks mostly like the Green Hill Zone.
Sonic Adventure 2
In Sonic Adventure 2 and its GameCube remake, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Green Hill Zone was a secret stage that could be unlocked by obtaining all 180 Emblems. On the Stage Select screen, the icon for Green Hill could be found on a secluded island, presumably South Island.
A few levels in Sonic Forces involve Sonic and/or the Avatar running through a completely trashed Green Hill Zone, which was turned into a pseudo-desert due to Eggman taking over a very large chunk of the world.
- Lost Valley, the area that Sonic runs through when Eggman attacks the City.
- Arsenal Pyramid, a huge pyramid that serves as Eggman's munitions depot.
- Green Hill, a dried-up section that Classic Sonic chases Eggman through.
- Guardian Rock, an area with factory buildings guarded by the Death Crab.
- Virtual Reality, a false location that Shadow gets trapped in during the events of Episode Shadow.
|Locations in the Sonic the Hedgehog Game Series|
|Islands||Christmas Island | South Island | West Side Island | Angel Island | Cocoa Island | Flicky Island | Prison Island | Onyx Island | Southern Island|
|Landmarks||Never Lake | Mount Mobius | Emerald Shrine | Tails' Workshop | Babylon Garden | Gaia Gate|
|Regions / Nations||Eggman Empire | Station Square | Mystic Ruins | United Federation | Central City | Soleanna | Monopole | City | Mystic Jungle|
|Vessels||Death Egg | Death Egg II | Egg Carrier | Space Colony ARK | Eggman Fleet|
|Planets / Planetoids||Mobius | Little Planet | Black Comet | Interstellar Amusement Park | Lost Hex|
|Dimensions||Special Stage | Maginaryworld | Sol Dimension | Arabian Nights | Twilight Cage | Grand Kingdom | White Space|