Sonic Rivals 2
From Sonic Retro
|Sonic Rivals 2|
|Developer: Sonic Team USA|
|System(s): PlayStation Portable|
Sonic Rivals 2 is the second Sonic game to be developed for the PlayStation Portable, and is the sequel to Sonic Rivals. Unlike the last game, this game has 8 different playable characters, and a much more complex plot. The theme music is Race to Win.
Sonic Rivals 2 has four main Single Player modes. Story Mode is the main single player mode. Players will go through each of the game's battle modes (listed below) and levels to advance the plot. Each zone has three acts and a boss, with the exception of the final zone. The characters are divided into four teams (Sonic and Tails, Shadow and Metal Sonic, Silver and Espio, Knuckles and Rouge) and each character has their own story.
The game introduces a new mode called Free Play In this single player mode, players can choose any one of the eight characters and play through the zones in traditional 2D Sonic fashion. They can also try Time Attacking, or finding the ten hidden Chao in the levels. There are no opponents for this mode. This is a first for many of the characters featured.
In addition, players can also try the Cup Circuit and Single Event modes. Races and battle can be customized in every aspect, and players can try to earn cards by completing challenges. There are 150 different cards to collect, and each is tied to a certain achievement. For example, getting an S Rank in Knockout Mode unlocks a card of Mephiles the Dark.
The cards themselves contain art from various older Sonic games, and can unlock things such as alternate suits for the characters. Unlike the first game, only one card is needed to unlock a suit; and each character has four suits instead of the original three. The cards also unlock the Cup Circuits, and Chao Detectors for the Zones.
Sonic Rivals 2 boasts a new "Battle Mode" with six different types of competition in addition to the main race mode. These modes are also worked into the story. The lengths of the battles can be set though the selection menus.
- Knockout: Each player starts with three rings. Players must knock all of the rings out of their opponent and then attack them to win. First player to the set number of knockouts wins.
- Rings Battle: Players have a set time to collect as many rings as possible. The player with the most rings at the end of the time limit wins.
- Capture the Chao: A Sonic themed version of Capture the Flag. Players must steal a set number of Chao from their opponent's base and bring them back to their own base with their own Chao still there to win.
- Laps Race: The first player complete a set number of laps around the track wins.
- King of the Hill: An Omochao is stationed at the top of the level with a light beam. Players earn points by simply standing under it. The first player to the set number of points wins.
- Tag: A Sonic themed cross between Hot Potato and Tag. Each player has a time limit that drops when they hold the bomb. Players pass the bomb by tagging the other player. The first player to have their time limit expire loses.
|Main article: Sonic Rivals 2 manuals|
Also Released On
- Sega Fun Pack: Sonic Rivals 2 & Sega Genesis Collection for the Sony PlayStation Portable (2009)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-ULUS10323_00-SONICRIVALS02PSP (archived: 2018-04-29 17:52)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0177-ULES00940_00-PPCSONICRI000001 (archived: 2018-04-29 17:54)
- https://store.playstation.com/fr-fr/product/EP0177-ULES00940_00-PPCSONICRI000001 (archived: 2018-04-29 17:54)
- https://store.playstation.com/de-de/product/EP0177-ULES00940_00-PPCSONICRI000001 (archived: 2019-02-23 00:56)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP0177-ULES00940_00-PPCSONICRI000001 (archived: 2018-04-29 17:54)
|Sonic Rivals 2|
|Sonic games for the following systems|
|2006 Sonic Rivals | Sega Genesis Collection 2007 Sonic Rivals 2 2009 Sega Fun Pack: Sonic Rivals 2 & Sega Genesis Collection 2011 Double Rivals Attack Pack!|