From Sonic Retro
|First seen: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992)|
|User: Miles "Tails" Prower|
|This short article is in need of work. You can help Sonic Retro by.|
Propeller Flight (プロペラ飛行), also known as Propeller Flying, Heli-Tails (ヘリテイル), Airman Tails, Helicopter, or just Fly (フライ), is the signature move of Miles "Tails" Prower throughout the Sonic the Hedgehog series and alternate media.
To perform this move, Tails spins his twin tails around like rotary blades quickly enough that he lifts off the ground and into the air like a helicopter. Using his tails like this, Tails can fly at a speed that enables him to keep up with Sonic the Hedgehog. In games where Tails can follow Sonic, such as Sonic the Hedgehog 2, he will use this technique to catch up if he falls behind.
Most games that feature Tails as a playable character allow the player to use the move to fly in any direction, either to reach high places that Sonic and sometimes other characters cannot reach or to cross bottomless pits. In some games, the spinning tails can defeat enemies and damage bosses just by flying into them from underneath. However, Tails cannot maintain flight for too long, as he will become tired and be forced to land after flying for a certain amount of time. The controls for flying and the length of time Tails can fly for varies by game. Tails cannot fly underwater in some games, and in most cases will swim instead.
The Propeller Flight can also serve as an invaluable support technique in that he can carry Sonic and other characters into the air. This is introduced as a game mechanic in Sonic the Hedgehog 3, and is also used for narrative purposes in other games and media.
In other media
|This short section needs expansion. You can help Sonic Retro by.|
- Hyper Heli-Tails, a powered-up version of the move that is an item in Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble.
- Copter Combo, a Tag Action version of the move in Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II.
- Flying, a similar move performed by Cream the Rabbit.
- File:SonicAdventure DC US manual.pdf, page 23
- File:SonicAdventure DC JP manual.pdf, page 23
- File:SonicAdvance GBA JP manual.pdf, page 15
- File:SonicAdvance GBA US manual.pdf, page 13
- File:SonicAdvance2 GBA US manual.pdf, page 15
- File:SonicAdvance3 GBA US manual.pdf, page 12
- File:SonicTripleTrouble GG US manual.pdf, page 7
- File:TailsAdventures GG EU manual.pdf, page 32
- File:Sonic Chaos Game Gear JP Manual.pdf, page 9
- File:SonicChaos GG US manual.pdf, page 9
- File:Sonic Chaos SMS EU Manual.pdf, page 16
- File:Sonic06 360 US manual.pdf, page 19
- File:Sonic06 ps3 jp manual.pdf, page 24