Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (beta 4)
From Sonic Retro
(Redirected from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Beta 4)
|Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (beta 4)|
|Prerelease of: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)|
|System: Sega Mega Drive|
|Build date: 1992-09-18|
|ROM size: 1 MB|
|Source: Sega ROM Archive CD-R disc|
|Found by: drx|
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Beta 4"' is a prototype version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive. It is one of many internal prototypes released by drx during the February 23rd, 2008 proto release.
Beta 4 and the subsequent "beta 5", "beta 6", "beta 7" and "beta 8" are internal builds of the game, never intended to be seen by the general public in any form. Only days separate the build dates of these prototypes, and all were created towards the end of the game's development cycle, with significantly fewer differences from the earlier prototypes available online. Beta 4 has a time stamp of 1992-09-18 16:26, meaning it was created just over two months before the final game's release. Though it should be noted REV00 (the first retail release) has a build date of September 26th, meaning the build was built only 2 weeks before the final.
The "beta 4" name originates from Sega themselves, having presumably succeeded a "beta 1", "2" and "3" in the days and weeks prior to beta 4's release. Confusingly this numbering scheme is not thought to include the older "Nick Arcade" and "Simon Wai" prototypes, which were produced many months before beta 4 (that is to say, these are not "beta 1" and "beta 2", respectively). Sega likely only used the term "beta" in the final few weeks of the game's development (earlier builds would be referred to as alpha builds). "Beta" is often mistakenly used to refer to pre-release builds at varying stages of development, but the term "beta" in reference to software development actually refers to builds that are nearing completion but are still not yet fully finished.
|Main article: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (beta 4)/Comparisons|
- In the fourth Special Stage, there are only 42 rings in the first section, yet 45 rings are required. Therefore, it is impossible to get the fourth Chaos Emerald, and consequently impossible to get Super Sonic without hacking.
- When Tails drowns, Sonic will also drown.
- The collision detection in Emerald Hill Zone and Aquatic Ruin Zone is a bit wonky.
- One of the elevators in Casino Night Zone doesn't work properly.
- You can get stuck if you Spin Dash into a rock in Hill Top Zone.
- Oil Ocean Zone has some background and collision detection issues.
- Metropolis Zone Act 3 cannot be played without using Level Select. Completing Metropolis Zone Act 2 takes you to Sky Chase Zone.
- The propellers from the Wing Fortress will hurt you in Sky Chase Zone.
|Download Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (beta 4)
File: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Beta 4 - Sep 18, 1992, 16.26) (hidden-palace.org).zip (713 kB) (info)
|Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (beta 4), prerelease version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)|
|Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)|