Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Beta 8 is a prototype version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive. It is also known as S2BETA8.
This prototype was released by drx during the February 23rd, 2008 proto release. It is the last known prototype of Sonic 2 to be made before the final build was produced.
|| This article needs cleanup.|
This article needs to be edited to conform to a higher standard of article quality. Specifically, issues with this article are:
This section needs moving to the comparisons page(s)
After the article has been cleaned up, you may remove this message. See How to Edit a Page for help.
- Level select code is the same as in the final, and the new level select screen is done. The debug code from the final doesn't work. The old codes also work.
- Level Select code: , , , , , , highlight 1 player, then press + . Using 19, 65, 9, 17 in the sound test works in this build as well.
- Debug code: , , , , , , , , highlight 1 player, then press + .
- The title screen is identical to the final, but "Options" is misspelled as "Option".
- "Sonic and "Tails" in:" (or Sonic and Miles, depending on your region).
- In Chemical Plant Zone Act 2, the huge shortcut with the three boxes that leads straight to the boss has two super rings and a life, while in the final it's two super rings and an invincibility.
- In Aquatic Ruin Zone Act 1, there is an invincibility monitor and a ring monitor on top of the first loop that are not present in the final.
- Hidden Palace Zone is removed.
- The boss of Wing Fortress Zone only takes one hit to defeat.
- The final boss in Death Egg Zone is closer to the entrance in this build. Sonic does not run past Robotnik after defeating the Giant Mech, as in previous builds.
- Ending sequence and credits are implemented.
- Super Sonic doesn't change back to normal Sonic when a level is clear, this causes the ring counter to still drain until it hits zero.