Sonic the Comic 176
From Sonic Retro
| Sonic the Comic #176|
"What Price Victory?"
|Release date: 2000-03-08|
|Country: United Kingdom|
|Writer: Nigel Kitching|
|Pencils: Richard Elson|
|Letters: Ellie de'Ville|
|Editor: Andy Diggle|
|Managing editor: Steve MacManus|
|Cover artist: Richard Elson|
|← Previous issue | Next issue →|
From this issue onwards, the comic's logo is changed to its final design, and Sonic's artwork from Sonic Adventure is now used in the top left corner of the cover. This issue also marks the death of long-running character Johnny Lightfoot.
What Price Victory?
Sonic's eyes have turned green after having come into contact with the mysterious monster. His fellow Freedom Fighters are understandably worried, though Sonic insists he feels fine, and the glow gradually fades, though his irises are still green. Porker Lewis arrives, having studied the monster and determined that it's made of Chaos energy. He has brought some equipment that can defeat the creature, but Sonic is confident that they've seen it off, just as it bursts from a manhole behind them. Meanwhile, in the dark dimension, Dr. Robotnik observes the creature attacking the heroes, to which Grimer explains that he released the Chaos creature in an attempt to motivate Robotnik. He had read Robotnik's notes that the creature is uncontrollable, but he found a device known as the Anti-Chaos Nullifier that they can use to control the creature after it defeats Sonic. Unfortunately, the device doesn't work, so Grimer has effectively doomed everyone on Mobius since Chaos cannot be stopped. Regardless, Robotnik is interested in what may happen.
Back in the Metropolis Zone, Porker rigs up the device which he needs Chaos to stand on. Sonic lures Chaos into it, using his speed to fling a petrol tanker into the monster, agitating it enough to bring it closer. Unfortunately, the machine isn't working because a cable is not connected. Sonic attempts to resolve this issue, but Chaos' fear effect takes hold again and he cannot manage it. Johnny steps in to have a try and succeeds in connecting the cable, but he ends up too close to Chaos and is knocked away by a vicious swipe from the monster. Porker quickly activates the machine, and the monster explodes into pieces, much to his delight. The Freedom Fighters hurry to Johnny, Sonic impressed with his actions, though not happy about it, given the hedgehog's hero status. Sonic is quickly stunned though, with tears welling in his eyes, as Amy reveals that Johnny is dead...
- Knuckles — "Carnival Night Conspiracy, Part 5" (Issue #43)
- Tails — "Fox on the Run, Part 2" (Issue #74)
- Sonic the Hedgehog — "The Great Escape! Part 1" (Issue #55)
- Data Zone: The Data Zone acts as a quick reference guide to new readers about the characters, providing data files on Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy Rose, Dr. Robotnik, Grimer Wormtongue and Chaos. Curiously, Tekno the Canary has a data file despite having made her final appearance in issue #174.
- Graphic Zone: Fan art submitted by readers. The theme for this issue's Graphic Zone is "Musical Mayhem", featuring pictures of the comic's cast playing on instruments or as parodies of real-life singers. Owners of the printed art each won a Sonic the Hedgehog digital watch.
- The first part of a mega-sized Sonic poster.
- Designer: Gary Knight
- Managing editor: Steve MacManus
- Production: Sarah Colley
- Marketing manager: Doug Pocock
- Promotion buyer: Michelle Brown
- Marketing director: Rob McMenemy
- Managing director: Julie Goldsmith
- Advertising: Steve Goldsmith