Lost Labyrinth Zone
is the third level in Sonic the Hedgehog 4
. It appears to be set underground, similar to Sonic 1
's Labyrinth Zone
, and draws similar compaisons to Hydrocity Zone
from Sonic 3
. This zone is known for the controversial Mine Cart gimmick that was in the second act in the PartnerNET build
, which involved Sonic controlling a mine cart in the entire level. Due to responses from the fanbase, the mine cart act has since become an exclusive level in the iPhone version, and the console version will receive an entirely new act.
The mine cart stage in the iPhone release
On August 18th 2010, Lost Labyrinth Zone was revealed on the Japanese website and later on the US site, with a slew of new screen shots. The entirety of Act 2 has been altered to use a new torch gimmick, which wasn't in the leaked beta. One screen shot showed the infamous mine cart, which is now used differently. Rather than being used in the entire act, the mine cart is now automatic, and placed in a few sections during the act. The removal of motion controls from the act was confirmed.
||Eggman began his latest research in the remains of this labyrinth. Mysterious traps including giant boulders, moving walls, and endless waterways deter any curious explorers. If Sonic gets in over his head, make sure to look for air bubbles nearby!
— Description on the Sonic 4 site
- Act 1 - Ancient Maze of Mystery
- Act 2 - World of Darkness (Console) / Strange Mine Cart (iPhone)
- Act 3 - Underwater Maze Escape
- Boss - Trap-Filled Ruins
- Jaws - Piranha bots that troll around underwater.
- Bubbles - A blue floating bubble bot. Red spiked variations also appear.
- Orbinaut - Simple sphere bots that move back and forth very slowly. The catch is that they're circled by four spiked balls, which move in a pattern and can only be attacked for a short time.
- Burrobot - Mole bots that leap from the ground and then simply move back and forth in a small area.
- Unidus - These guys look exactly like Orbinaut. They're a bit more hot-headed, though, and will fire off their shield of mines.