Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I (WiiWare JP prototype)
From Sonic Retro
| Sonic the Hedgehog 4:|
Episode 1 (WiiWare JP Prototype)
|Prerelease of: Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I|
|Build date: 2010-02-09|
|Source: Wii Shop Channel (JP)|
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I (WiiWare JP prototype) is an early version of Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I which was accidentally released on the Japanese version of the WiiWare service on the release date. It contains many differences from the final game and includes different level designs and music changes. It shares a strong resemblence to the PartnerNet build, which in turn, also resembles the iOS version, although it is a much later build. It was built on February 9th, 2010.Information regarding this build was provided by evilhamwizard on December 31st, 2010 on the Sonic Retro forums. It was found on Usenet under the filename ps-wsnj.
- No way to progress to the next act without using the Level Select screen.
- Level select screen uses pictures of levels instead of a landscape.
- Levels use the loading screen briefly, instead of animating the title card screen.
- Several other graphical effects are missing. Sonic's "wheel-of-feet" animation only appears when Sonic is at top speed. No motion blur effects are present in this build.
- The cutscene that transitions to E.G.G. Station Zone (After completing the Mad Gear Zone Boss act.) is absent.
- There are some level layout differences.
- Casino Street Zone Act 2 has a completely different song. It also lacks a speed shoes remix as there are no speed shoes in the level.
- Since there was no World Map at the time, level select used the menu music.
- There was no transition between Mad Gear Zone and E.G.G. Station Zone, so this song is absent.
- Super Sonic uses the invincible BGM as he hadn't had his own theme yet.
- Lost Labyrinth Zone Act 2 lacks a speed shoes remix as there are no speed shoes in the level.
- There is no sound effect played when locking onto a homing attack target.
- The sunflowers in the background aren't fully animated; they are usually standing still. They also spin differently compared to the final build.
- Act 2 contained the 100,000 Point Challenge, a short score attack level in a pinball-style area. Removed in the console version.
- Act 2 had a different music track which was appropriate for the score attack level. Replaced in the console version.
- Act 2 contained the controversial Mine Cart level where Sonic remained in the cart throughout the level, which controlled poorly. It is controlled using the Wiimote's tilt function. The Mine Cart section is reduced greatly and plays automatically in the console version.
- The moving wall in Act 3 was much faster and harder to complete the area compared to the final version.
- The sirens in Act 3 do not play at all.
- In the final build Special Stage can be used with either the directional pad or by tilting the Wiimote. In this version it can only be played by tilting the Wiimote.
|Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I|