From Sonic Retro
|Developer: Hummer Team Co.|
This article needs cleanup.
Somari is a pirate version of Sega's flagship video game Sonic the Hedgehog produced for the Famicom by Hummer Team in 1994. It was sold primarily around Hong Kong. The game is notable in the fact that it contains a vaguely accurate simulation of Sonic the Hedgehog, a 16-bit game produced for the Sega Mega Drive, on an 8-bit cartridge - something thought impossible by many video game experts at the time. The game features a character named "Somari" - Nintendo mascot Mario wearing Miles "Tails" Prower's trademark shoes, as well as possessing Sonic the Hedgehog's abilities.
Video game enthusiasts have suggested the possibility of reverse engineering or the possession of Sonic the Hedgehog's source code in explaining Somari's creation. It is also estimated that the game devolopment started in late 1993 and came out in early 1994, as Somari has abilities only available in the game Sonic the Hedgehog 2, such as the Spin Dash, opening possibility that it contains coding information from that game as well. However, these concepts are merely speculative, as it is unknown exactly how, when, or where this game was created.
As with many independently produced pirated games, the coding is flawed. Somari's physics can make completing the game more of a challenge, certain areas have numerous glitches, and access to certain levels requires the use of special computer programs. There is no ending sequence of Somari running through a previous level, instead there is a single screen showing Robotnik juggling the Chaos Emeralds with some text on the screen claiming Robotnik will return.
Being a pirate game, it was probably released in fairly limited numbers, and only in Asian countries. The game has become more well known recently through the phenomenon of console emulation.
There is also a hack of this version which improves various aspects of the game including gameplay, art and music.
Cheat Codes, All Versions
- Zone Select: Press on the title screen.
- Sonic the Hedgehog is identical to Somari except the sprite is changed to Sonic the Hedgehog. The player starts off in Spring Yard Zone rather than in Green Hill Zone. There is an IPS file to restore Green Hill Zone as the first level - Sonic Level Fix
- Sonic 3D Blast 5 is the same as Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Sonic & Knuckles 5 is identical to Sonic 3D Blast 5 but with a downgraded Sonic & Knuckles title screen.
- Sonic 3D Blast 6 is essentially the same as the above three, but with a different title screen and the starting level is Marble Zone.
- Family Kid is another hack in which the Somari sprite is replaced with an original character called Family Kid. The starting level is green hill zone, just like in Somari.
- Doraemon is almost a complete graphical overhaul of Somari replacing Sonic with the Japanese character Doraemon. It was made by "Waixing Computer Science & Technology Co, Ltd.". It introduces brand new levels and music though gameplay is identical.
- The Hummer is from a 60 in 1 plug and play from Hummer Team.
Sonic the Hedgehog, Spring Yard Zone
Game Secrets for the Somari incarnation of the game can be found here.