Spring Yard Zone
Spring Yard Zone, the third zone in Sonic 1, is an urban level resembling a pinball machine, with many springs, bumpers, and secret areas. Bumpers bounce Sonic while awarding 10 points for hitting them. This zone's design inspired many similar stages in future Sonic games.
Instruction Manual Description
|| Jump from springs and bounce off bumpers as if you're in a real pinball machine.
|| This map was the first one to be drawn and finalized. Wanting to bounce around on the pinball-like bumpers in this stage really can't be helped! Because the star-patterned bumpers make a "Bo-bin!" sound when you bounce on them, in Sonic Team lexicon we call them bobins (laughs).
—Sonic Team, Naoto Ohshima
Known Changes During Development
- In several magazine previews, SYZ is referred to as Sparkling Zone. This may be due to the presence of small pinkish stars in the background of several beta shots.
- The background originally featured skyscrapers with horizontal colored bars instead of the mountains, city, and trees in the final background.
- Several signs were posted in the background, including ones saying "Good Luck", "Goodbye", and "Let's Go".
- Buzz Bomber - Insect bot that shoots stinging fireballs
- Crabmeat - Crab bot that shoots fireballs from its pincers
- Yadrin - Snail bots similar to Moto Bugs, but with spikes
- Roller - Rolly Polly bot that rolls over Sonic
- Spring Yard Zone Act 2 is the only level in Sonic 1 to feature more than one Signpost; there is a jump at the end of the level that if made successfully, will bring the player to another platform with more rings than the one below it, and the other Signpost.