Sonic the Comic 177
From Sonic Retro
| Sonic the Comic #177|
|Release date: 2000-03-22|
|Country: United Kingdom|
|Writer: Nigel Kitching|
|Pencils: Richard Elson|
|Letters: Ellie de'Ville|
|Editor: Andy Diggle|
|Managing editor: Steve MacManus|
|Cover artist: Richard Elson|
|← Previous issue | Next issue →|
Following immedately after the events of the last issue, the Freedom Fighters are mourning the death of Johnny Lightfoot, except for Sonic, who refuses to accept it. It appears that Johnny has come back to life, before swirling away in a sea of pink and turning into Amy, who reveals that Sonic was dreaming in his room. Sonic has slipped into a sea of melancholy and is blaming himself solely for Johnny's death. Amy tries talking some sense into the disheartened hero, but Sonic blows her off, saying he has been risking everyone's lives for years without thinking of the consequences, and knows what must be done.
Meanwhile, Grimer monitors the situation from the dark dimension and finds traces of Chaos, who has changed form, spread out over roughly half a mile and 20,000 feet above the planet, and is approaching the Floating Island. This stirs something in Robotnik's mind. Up on the Floating Island itself, Knuckles receives word from Amy that Sonic has left with no intention of returning. Suddenly, his transmission with Amy is cut short when a mysterious mist swirls around behind him, heralding the arrival of Chaos. Knuckles tries to confront the monster, but his fear effect takes effect on the echidna. Chaos, now speaking, reveals that the Chaos Emeralds are part of him and intends to become whole again. Knuckles tries to talk Chaos out of the idea, but fails as the monster begins to absorb the Emeralds into himself. Back in the Emerald Hill Zone, Amy and Tails prepare the Tornado in order to fly to the Floating Island, feeling that something awful is about to happen...
- Knuckles — "Carnival Night Conspiracy, Part 6" (Issue #44)
- Tails — "Fox on the Run, Part 3" (Issue #75)
- Sonic the Hedgehog — "The Great Escape! Part 2" (Issue #56)
- Graphic Zone: Fan art submitted by readers. The theme for this issue's Graphic Zone is "Sonic and the Gang!", featuring pictures of the Freedom Fighters and Knuckles. Owners of the printed art each won a Sonic the Hedgehog digital watch. Two of the entries in this issue's Graphic Zone did not provide the artists' names or addresses.
- The second part of a mega-sized Sonic poster.
- Designer: Gary Knight
- Managing editor: Steve MacManus
- Production: Sarah Colley
- Marketing manager: Doug Pocock
- Promotion buyer: Michelle Brown
- Marketing director: Rob McMenemy
- Managing director: Julie Goldsmith
- Advertising: Steve Goldsmith