Other Sonic X-treme levels
From Sonic Retro
During the development of Sonic X-treme, numerous level ideas were debated upon, and by the time of cancellation some had come along more than others. Jade Gully, Crystal Frost, Red Sands and Galaxy Fortress/Death Egg made it past the conceptual phase and were at one point reasonably established, playable levels. This page details other stages which did not make it as far.
Most of the concept art and screenshots that follow below were taken from the Sonic Xtreme Compendium.
Metal Blade is a level referenced heavily in Chris Senn's documentation, though the only evidence of its existence is some released conceptual music for the stage. At least three acts to the zone were planned, named "Nightmare Bridge," "Sewer Shock" and "Necropolis", respectively.
Blue Ocean failed to make it past the testing stage, however the fact it was given a name suggests the level was intended to be developed further, possibly into an underwater level.
Much like the calendar-based levels of Christmas NiGHTS, Sonic X-treme at one point considered having a "bonus" level that would be themed around Christmas. However, not much work was completed as the rest of the game took precedence.
Through the course of creating and showcasing Ofer Alon's engine for Sonic X-treme, numerous test levels were built by both Ofer and Chris Senn. Some of these were meant to be expanded into full levels, while others were simply examples of what could be done with the engine.
Test level designed by Ofer Alon.
(Upload original versions please)
- Sonic X-treme: Jade Gully - Video footage of Jade Gully in action.
- Sonic X-treme: Crystal Frost - Video footage of Crystal Frost in action.
- Sonic X-treme: Red Sands - Video footage of Red Sands in action.
- Sonic X-treme: Death Egg - Video footage of Death Egg in action.
- Sonic X-treme: New Worlds - A presentation video created specifically for the Saturn version's ill-fated progress report.
- Sonic X-treme: New Paths - A presentation video created specifically for the pitch to Sega's PC division.