Sonic 2 Delta
From Sonic Retro
|Sonic 2 Delta|
|Last release: 2021-06-16|
|System: Sega Mega Drive|
|Original game: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles|
Sonic Delta 40 Mb (formerly Sonic 2 Delta) is a groundbreaking series of ROM hacks by famed Sonic scene member Esrael Neto, which restores several deleted levels and prototype elements to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive. Various features of Sonic Delta 40 Mb, common across the series despite the existence of several versions/branches of the hack, include the use of art and music from the betas and Sonic the Hedgehog and re-implementation of badniks that had been removed from the final game. Several original boss fights have also been created for the hack.
The main version of this hack is entitled Sonic Delta 40 Mb and was based upon the Simon Wai prototype, before version 0.24 transferred the codebase to ‘revision 2’ of Sonic 2 from Sonic Compilation and before version 0.29 transferred to the Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles codebase. More information on the various lineages and their history is detailed in the section “Other versions” below.
The order of levels is directly as shown in the newly implemented Data Select menu:
- Green Hill Zone: This, like the rest of the Sonic 1 zones, is entirely unchanged from its original appearance.
- Marble Zone
- Spring Yard Zone
- Labyrinth Zone
- Star Light Zone
- Scrap Brain Zone
- Final Zone: The only alteration is the addition of 3 rings at the start of the zone.
- Emerald Hill Zone: Contains prototype layout elements, and the Coconuts Badniks are replaced with the scrapped Snail badniks.
- Winter Hill Zone: The graphics that are used are unlike any descriptions ever given of the winter level, other than the winter setting. Instead, graphics are extremely similar to Sonic Triple Trouble's Robotnik Winter Zone, with the layouts derived from the same zone. There are trees present but not Christmas trees. Also, no graphics from the (also scrapped) desert level are reused; this differs from the official team’s plans for it to be largely a palette-swap (similar to what Hill Top Zone is of Emerald Hill Zone). The BGM is that of 2 player Mystic Cave Zone, and an original boss fight has been coded for it.
- Wood Zone: The graphics are similar to what is seen in the Simon Wai prototype. It uses a slowed down version of the Emerald Hill 2 player music as its BGM. It also has an original boss fight.
- Sand Shower Zone: Uses graphics similar to the mockup screenshot. It's a desert-only setting. The BGM used is from Oil Ocean Zone but slower. The boss of Emerald Hill Zone is reused for this level, with no alterations.
- Chemical Plant Zone: Small minor alterations were made, such as the loops having slanted corners, like in the prototype.
- Neo Green Hill Zone: ARZ with its prototype name and music.
- Casino Night Zone: As mentioned previously, it has been reverted to its beta form.
- Hill Top Zone
- Dust Hill Zone: MCZ with its prototype name and music.
- Hidden Palace Zone (Sonic 2): The graphics are the same as those found in the Nick Arcade prototype, with a layout extending from said prototype. The BGM used is the same as the unused music found in the final version of Sonic 2. A lift can be found on the long ramp; this was unused in the Nick Arcade prototype. This zone's boss is a near-perfect recreation of the Hidden Palace Zone boss from the 2013 Sonic 2 mobile remake.
- Oil Ocean Zone - 'beta style', with different music and the ride-able balls found in the betas.
- Metropolis Zone
- Genocide City Zone: The background graphics of Oil Ocean Zone are reused but in a night-time setting. The foreground also reuses graphics from Chemical Plant Zone. There is one act only, and the boss reuses Chemical Plant's boss.
- Sky Chase Zone
- Sky Fortress Zone: Uses the beta name.
- Death Egg Zone (Sonic 2): Slightly different in that: A. You get 3 rings to start the zone, and B. The music is from the beta.
- Angel Island Zone
- Hydrocity Zone
- Marble Garden Zone
- Carnival Night Zone: Uses the music from the November 3rd prototype.
- IceCap Zone: Uses the music from the November 3rd prototype.
- Launch Base Zone: Uses the music from the November 3rd prototype. Sonic and Tails do fight the Big Arm, like in Sonic 3 alone.
- Mushroom Valley Zone: Uses the beta name.
- Flying Battery Zone
- Sandopolis Zone
- Lava Reef Zone
- Hidden Palace Zone (Sonic & Knuckles)
- Sky Sanctuary Zone
- Death Egg Zone (Sonic & Knuckles): At the start of the Kyodai Eggman Robo boss fight, 3 rings are provided.
- The Doomsday Zone
The "latest version" is most likely out of date, as the developer updates frequently. To ensure you have the most up-to-date version, go to the official website. (up to date as of 2021-06-20)
|Download Sonic 2 Delta
File: Sonic_Delta_v065.rar (2.83 MB) (info)
Current version: v0.65
- Versions in between 0.39a and 0.60, or 0.60 to 0.65, are not uploaded at this time, please visit the link above!
- Sonic Delta v0.60 (2.83 MB, released 2021-01-16)
- Sonic Delta v0.39a (2.81 MB, released 2020-05-30)
- Sonic Delta v0.39 (2.81 MB, released 2020-05-29)
- Sonic Delta v0.38 (2.83 MB, released 2020-05-01)
- Sonic Delta v0.37 (2.83 MB, released 2020-04-25)
- Sonic Delta v0.36b (2.83 MB, released 2020-04-22)
- Sonic Delta v0.36a (2.83 MB, released 2020-04-20)
- Sonic Delta v0.36 (2.83 MB, released 2020-04-19)
- Sonic Delta v0.35 (2.82 MB, released 2020-04-10)
- Sonic Delta v0.34a (2.82 MB, released 2020-04-04)
- Sonic Delta v0.34 (2.82 MB, released 2020-04-03)
- Sonic Delta v0.33 (2.82 MB, released 2020-03-31)
- Sonic Delta v0.32 (2.82 MB, released 2020-03-28)
- Sonic Delta v0.31 (2.82 MB, released 2020-03-22)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.30 (2.82 MB, released 2020-03-13)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.29 (2.82 MB, released 2020-03-10)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.26 (1.23 MB, released 2017-12-27)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.25a (1.23 MB, released 2015-04-04)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.24sram (1.18 MB, released 2012-08-27)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.24a (1.18 MB, released 2012-05-06)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.24 (1.18 MB, released 2012-05-01)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.23 (873 KB, 2008-10-15)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.22 (714 KB, 2008-09-02)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.21 (688 KB, 2006-08-15)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.20 (687 KB, 2006-02-08)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.19 (618 KB, 2003-02-04)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.18 (679 KB, 2002-08-03)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.17 (676 KB, 2002-06-23)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.16a (668 KB, 2002-05-11)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.16 (668 KB, 2002-05-11)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.15 (662 KB, 2002-05-05)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.14 (661 KB, 2002-04-28)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.13 (630 KB, 2002-04-13)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.12 (627 KB, 2002-03-29)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.11 (622 KB, 2002-03-09)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.10 (614 KB, 2002-03-05)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.09 (634 KB, 2002-02-22)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.08 (617 KB, 2002-02-10)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.07 (617 KB, 2002-01-26)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.06a (639 KB, 2002-01-14)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.06 (614 KB, 2002-01-12)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.05 (614 KB, 2001-12-30)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.04 (614 KB, 2001-12-23)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.03 (614 KB, 2001-12-15)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.02a (614 KB, 2001-12-09)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.02 (614 KB, 2001-12-08)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.01 (614 KB, 2001-12-02)
As well as the main branch, titled simply Sonic Delta 40 Mb, Esrael has also created several hacks based upon other versions of Sonic 2.
Sonic 2 Delta II
A hack of the final version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
|Download Sonic 2 Delta II
File: Sonic_2_Delta_2_V0.10a.zip (997 kB) (info)
Current version: 0.10a
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.10 (993 KB, released 2004-05-15)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.09 (946 KB, 2003-11-22)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.08 (945 KB, 2003-08-24)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.07 (854 KB, 2002-12-17)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.06 (832 KB, 2002-10-04)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.05a (976 KB, 2002-08-17)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.05 (976 KB, 2002-08-14)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.04a (808 KB, 2002-06-14)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.04 (808 KB, 2002-06-14)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.03 (818 KB, 2002-05-26)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.02 (798 KB, 2002-05-16)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.01 (794 KB, 2002-05-13)
Sonic 2 Delta III
A hack of Revision 02 of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
|Download Sonic 2 Delta III
File: Sonic_2_Delta_III_V0.2.zip (845 kB) (info)
Current version: 0.2
- Sonic 2 Delta III v0.1 (820 KB, 2003-03-29)
Sonic 2 Delta 0
A hack of the Nick Arcade prototype of Sonic 2.
|Download Sonic 2 Delta 0
File: Sonic_2_Delta_0_V0.03.rar (564 kB) (info)
Current version: 0.03
Sonic 2 Delta IV
The newest edition of Sonic 2 Delta, based on Sonic 2 Beta 4.
|Download Sonic 2 Delta IV
File: Sonic_2_Delta_4_V0.01.rar (713 kB) (info)
Current version: 0.01
- Sonic 3 Delta - a related, now abandoned hack of Sonic the Hedgehog 3, with the levels of Sonic & Knuckles implemented
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Delta level maps
- Esrael Sonic Hacking H.P. – Official Sonic Delta website (in Portuguese).