Sonic 2 Delta
From Sonic Retro
|Sonic 2 Delta|
|Last release: 2020-03-22|
|System: Sega Mega Drive|
|Original game: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles|
Sonic 2 Delta is a groundbreaking series of ROM hacks by famed Sonic scene member Esrael Neto, which restores several deleted levels and prototype elements to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive. Various features of Sonic 2 Delta, common across the series despite the existence of several versions/branches of the hack, include the use of art and music from the betas and Sonic the Hedgehog and re-implementation of badniks that had been removed from the final game. The level order of Sonic 2 Delta is also similar to the original intended order, rather than that used in the final version.
The main version of this hack is entitled Sonic 2 Delta and was based upon the Simon Wai prototype, before version 0.24 transferred the codebase to ‘revision 2’ of Sonic 2 from Sonic Compilation and before version 0.29 transferred to the Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles codebase. More information on the various lineages and their history is detailed in the section “Other versions” below.
The order of levels is directly as shown in the newly implemented Data Select menu:
- Green Hill Zone: Straight from Sonic 1!
- Emerald Hill Zone: Contains prototype layout elements, and the Coconuts Badniks are replaced with the scrapped Snail badniks.
- Winter Hill Zone: The graphics that are used are unlike any descriptions ever given of the winter level, other than the winter setting. There are trees present but not Christmas trees. Also, no graphics from the (also scrapped) desert level are reused; this differs from the official team’s plans for it to be largely a palette-swap (similar to what Hill Top Zone is of Emerald Hill Zone). The BGM is that of 2 player Mystic Cave Zone and the boss used is from Sonic 1's Marble Zone.
- Wood Zone: The graphics are similar to what is seen in the Simon Wai prototype. It uses a different BGM (2 player Emerald Hill Zone, but slower). It reuses the ARZ Boss.
- Sand Shower Zone: Uses graphics similar to the mockup screenshot. It's a desert-only setting. The BGM used is from Oil Ocean Zone but slower. The boss of Emerald Hill Zone is reused for this level, with no alterations.
- Chemical Plant Zone: Small minor alterations were made, such as the loops having slanted corners, like in the prototype.
- Labyrinth Zone: From Sonic 1.
- Neo Green Hill Zone: Sonic 2's ARZ with its prototype name and music.
- Star Light Zone: From Sonic 1.
- Casino Night Zone: As mentioned previously, it has been reverted to its beta form.
- Marble Zone: From Sonic 1.
- Hill Top Zone
- Spring Yard Zone: From Sonic 1.
- Dust Hill Zone: Sonic 2's MCZ with its prototype name and music.
- Hidden Palace Zone: The graphics and layout are the same as those found in the Nick Arcade prototype. The BGM used is the same that was used in the final version of Sonic 2. A lift can be found on the long ramp; this was unused in the Nick Arcade prototype. The previous zone's boss is repeated in this zone.
- Oil Ocean Zone - 'beta style', with different music and the ride-able balls found in the betas.
- Metropolis Zone
- Genocide City Zone: The background graphics of Oil Ocean Zone are reused but in a night-time setting. The foreground also reuses graphics from Chemical Plant Zone. Despite having 2 acts, there is no act marker on the title card. Water can be found in Act 2. The Chemical Plant Zone boss is reused here.
- Scrap Brain Zone: From Sonic 1.
- Final Zone: Also from Sonic 1.
- Sky Chase Zone
- Sky Fortress Zone
- Death Egg Zone: Slightly different in that: A. You get 3 rings to start the zone, and B. The music is from the beta.
- Angel Island Zone
- Hydrocity Zone
- Marble Garden Zone
- Carnival Night Zone: Uses the music from the November 3rd prototype.
- IceCap Zone: Uses the music from the November 3rd prototype.
- Launch Base Zone: Uses the music from the November 3rd prototype.
- Mushroom Hill Zone: Referred to as "Mushroom Valley" on the level select screen.
- Flying Battery Zone
- Sandopolis Zone
- Lava Reef Zone
- Hidden Palace Zone (Sonic & Knuckles)
- Sky Sanctuary Zone
- Death Egg Zone (Sonic & Knuckles)
- The Doomsday Zone
|Download Sonic 2 Delta
File: Sonic_Delta_v031.rar (2.82 MB) (info)
Current version: v0.31
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.30 (2.82 MB, released 2020-03-13)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.29 (2.82 MB, released 2020-03-10)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.26 (1.23 MB, released 2017-12-27)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.25a (1.23 MB, released 2015-04-04)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.24sram (1.18 MB, released 2012-08-27)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.24a (1.18 MB, released 2012-05-06)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.24 (1.18 MB, released 2012-05-01)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.23 (873 KB, 2008-10-15)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.22 (714 KB, 2008-09-02)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.21 (688 KB, 2006-08-15)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.20 (687 KB, 2006-02-08)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.19 (618 KB, 2003-02-04)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.18 (679 KB, 2002-08-03)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.17 (676 KB, 2002-06-23)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.16a (668 KB, 2002-05-11)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.16 (668 KB, 2002-05-11)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.15 (662 KB, 2002-05-05)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.14 (661 KB, 2002-04-28)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.13 (630 KB, 2002-04-13)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.12 (627 KB, 2002-03-29)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.11 (622 KB, 2002-03-09)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.10 (614 KB, 2002-03-05)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.09 (634 KB, 2002-02-22)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.08 (617 KB, 2002-02-10)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.07 (617 KB, 2002-01-26)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.06a (639 KB, 2002-01-14)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.06 (614 KB, 2002-01-12)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.05 (614 KB, 2001-12-30)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.04 (614 KB, 2001-12-23)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.03 (614 KB, 2001-12-15)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.02a (614 KB, 2001-12-09)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.02 (614 KB, 2001-12-08)
- Sonic 2 Delta v0.01 (614 KB, 2001-12-02)
As well as the main branch, titled simply Sonic 2 Delta, Esrael has also created several hacks based upon other versions of Sonic 2.
Sonic 2 Delta II
A hack of the final version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
|Download Sonic 2 Delta II
File: Sonic_2_Delta_2_V0.10a.zip (997 kB) (info)
Current version: 0.10a
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.10 (993 KB, released 2004-05-15)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.09 (946 KB, 2003-11-22)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.08 (945 KB, 2003-08-24)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.07 (854 KB, 2002-12-17)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.06 (832 KB, 2002-10-04)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.05a (976 KB, 2002-08-17)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.05 (976 KB, 2002-08-14)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.04a (808 KB, 2002-06-14)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.04 (808 KB, 2002-06-14)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.03 (818 KB, 2002-05-26)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.02 (798 KB, 2002-05-16)
- Sonic 2 Delta II v0.01 (794 KB, 2002-05-13)
Sonic 2 Delta III
A hack of Revision 02 of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
|Download Sonic 2 Delta III
File: Sonic_2_Delta_III_V0.2.zip (845 kB) (info)
Current version: 0.2
- Sonic 2 Delta III v0.1 (820 KB, 2003-03-29)
Sonic 2 Delta IV
The newest edition of Sonic 2 Delta, based on Sonic 2 Beta 4.
|Download Sonic 2 Delta IV
File: Sonic_2_Delta_4_V0.01.rar (713 kB) (info)
Current version: 0.01
Sonic 2 Delta 0
A hack of the Nick Arcade prototype of Sonic 2.
|Download Sonic 2 Delta 0
File: Sonic_2_Delta_0_V0.03.rar (564 kB) (info)
Current version: 0.03
- Sonic 3 Delta - a related hack of Sonic the Hedgehog 3, with the levels of Sonic & Knuckles implemented
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Delta level maps
- Esrael Sonic Hacking H.P. – Official Sonic 2 Delta website (in Portuguese).