From Sonic Retro
Not all cheats are codes, and not all codes are cheats. Some codes are game secrets, some game secrets can be seen with codes.
Because the plan is to move to a sub-page system and keep things more consistent, it is very likely that "cheat codes" and "game secrets" are going to be merged into single "hidden content" pages. Like Sega Retro. And The Cutting Room Floor.
And yes, like Sega Retro, the plan is to introduce more screenshots to see things in action. There's already duplication across this wiki, and debug mode is good at blurring the lines. In fact, many of the pages in this category aren't documenting "cheats" at all - "unlock x by beating y" is a description of normal gameplay - it's neither a "cheat" nor a "code"!
You can help prepare for the switchover by:
- Uploading screenshots
- Mirroring any Action Replay/GameShark/Game Genie/whatever codes on this wiki and citing sources for official codes (I'd love to see some old code book scans on Retro CDN)
- Checking codes actually work. Because GameFAQs can lie.
- Making sure we're as up to date (if not better) than TCRF
- "Hidden content" will be anything you can't clearly see during normal play (and isn't documented in manuals) - cheat codes, unused assets/code, easter eggs, weird stuff etc. Anything else should live on the game's main page (or wherever is more appropriate).
Bonus points if you can find out if and when Sega officially released details on any hidden content.
- Half of these remaining pages just need to be merged in with their main articles. I might leave that to someone else, given that they're mostly modern Sonic games I don't know much about (so can't easily verify things).
- I realise now that it was a terrible idea to bake in headers to Template:HiddenContent. But Mediawiki and I have different views on what constitutes valid regex meaning I can't mass replace it all, so bleh.
- A lot of the game secrets pages are ridiculously out of date, to the point where they almost need to be completely re-written. Also some of the action replay codes are garbage - it's a lot of work.
- tl;dr I'm lazy and might leave this task half done for now. We'll see. -Black Squirrel (talk) 15:24, 6 April 2019 (EDT)
Do bonus wallpapers found on Saturn and Dreamcast game discs count as hidden content, since you have to think about putting the discs into a PC to find them? --BSonirachi (talk) 20:17, 1 September 2019 (EDT)