Ashura Dark Reign
From Sonic Retro
|Ashura Dark Reign|
|Latest version: SonicGDK Physics Demo|
|Latest release date: 2010-01-29|
|Engine: Unreal Engine 3|
|Credits: The ADR Dev Team|
Ashura: Dark Reign (or ADR) is an upcoming game being developed on Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 platform. The player assumes the role of Sonic the Hedgehog (and friends) to save planet Mobius from his nemesis Dr. Ivo 'Eggman' Robotnik and the nefarious Ashura.
Ashura: Dark Reign began in 2005 as a simple model pack of Sonic characters meant for the Unreal Tournament 2004 video game (which was relatively new at the time). Due to popular demand and anticipation, it was decided that this model pack would be expanded to include whole game types based around a Sonic style. This overhaul was to be called Sonic Xtreme Fighters. Needless to say, the name and the concept both needed some work.
Towards the latter half of 2005, several Sonic and Unreal fans banded together to form a small, but devout development team. Through these individuals, the project developed an identity, and Ashura: Dark Reign was formed (after months of deliberation as far as naming went, at least).
Through the next three years, the ADR team would have its ups and downs, slow and fast cycles, and inevitably begin to weaken. Nevertheless, on January 1, 2008, an official tech demo of the mod was finally released, allowing the public to have a taste of what had been under development wraps since late 2005. The demo offered a single player mode, a long level with five different environments, Sonic as the playable character, badnik enemies and a boss to smash. It was relatively well received. However, it had its share of issues. These complaints were taken into account and addressed when an extended tech demo was put out November of the same year. Though it had the same environments as the first demo (save for one), it offered refined control, branching paths, secrets, entirely new areas, replicated Sonic 3 Special Stages, and a Hedgehog Engine like 2.5D sequence.
A year later, in late 2009, Epic Games unveiled their Unreal Engine Development Kit, a free to use, non-commercial version of their widely licensed Unreal Engine 3. This announcement gave ADR a new lease on life. Immediately jumping on board, the ADR team wasted no time pulling themselves back together to transfer the concepts already established in the project's UT2004 version to its successor. This upgrade meant not only a greater visual fidelity, but also improved physics, vaster levels, and new features that were not feasible in Unreal Engine 2.5. Additionally, this enables ADR to be a standalone product that anyone will be able to download for free. As of February 2010, development continues on the UDK platform.
Some information may be out of date! Will be updated when more information on the new UDK incarnation of the game is available!
The full mod will feature a single player mode with 3 playable characters on stories that will blend and twist together. Exploration will be encouraged, as you will have to find objects to use, solve puzzles and interact with a number of neutral characters to progress. New zones and old zones from past Sonic games will be visited, and you will have the ability to run through loops and corkscrews (Sonic physics).In addition, as of their most recent tech demo (November 25, 2008), the ADR Mod has incorporated Sonic Unleashed-esque 2.5D sidescrolling sections.
Two multiplayer modes are planned as well, each containing four character sub-types; (Speed, Power, Flight, and Psi):
- Sonic Xtreme Riders (Working Title): A game type based heavily on Sonic Riders, though with the added element of certain types of weaponry. The developers have described it as a hybrid of Riders and Road Rash.
- Emerald Hunt: A variation of the CTF games of conventional shooters, Emerald Hunt centers around finding seven Chaos Emeralds scattered around a map and bringing them back to their team's Master Emerald chamber. As well as finding the emeralds, players are able to steal them from the opposing team's chamber or opposing team members themselves.
During a routine exercise, Sonic and Co. are alerted to a disturbance on the Floating Island. There, Eggman and his badnik army are excavating for a lost Chaos Emerald of immense power. Sonic & Shadow combine forces once again to thwart Eggman's attempt to imprison the planet, but Eggman escapes with the emerald in tow. Unbeknown to them all, the future is about to change for the worse, once the power of the emerald re-awakens one of Mobius' oldest threats.
The mod story is based on a darker perspective of the Sonic the Hedgehog universe and its comics. It will be for mature players only; will contain violence, blood, gore, with the off chance of cursing and possibly some sexual references.
The confirmed playable characters for single player mode are:
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Save Mobius from impending doom from Dr. Eggman and Ashura.
- Shadow the Hedgehog: Thwart the plans of the Brotherhood of Metallix whilst helping Sonic.
- Ashura (unlockable): Start out in an ancient echidna civilization, by taking on the role of Ashura, a reckless rogue who has been shunned from his clan and seeks revenge. Then take him forward to Sonic's present day and cause mayhem for the blue blur.
In multiplayer mode, the confirmed working additional characters are:
Some characters have not been specifically confirmed, but were shown in development screen shots including:
- Classic levels: Emerald Hill, Marble Zone, Sky Sanctuary.
- 2.5D areas, akin to Sonic Unleashed.
- Monitors: ring box, speed shoes, invincibility, extra life, standard shield, lightning shield, fire shield, bubble shield, grow, shrink, Eggman, random/hidden object, invisibility, magnetic shoes and freeze time.
- Vehicles: Tornado MK3 plane, Shadow's motorcycle, Eggman's Egg'o'Matic aircraft, and a hoverboard.
- As of now, ADR is being developed exclusively using Unreal Engine 3.
UDK/UE3 Version (Current)
UT04 Version (Defunct)
Ashura: Dark Reign's rendition of the infamous glitch/titular character. Art by Vaiz
- A:DR at ModDB This is the secondary website of Ashura: Dark Reign, here you can get more information and view media of their progress so far.
- A:DR YouTube Channel YouTube channel of the mod team.
- ADR Extended Tech Demo Here you can download and test the latest Tech Demo. (Unreal Engine 2 version of the game, now considered obsolete)
- Official ADR forums
- SonicGDK Physics Demo A small example demonstrating the current physics in ADR's UDK incarnation.