Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Beta 4 for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis was released by drx during the February 23rd, 2008 proto release.
It has the same title screen as the previous betas, but with a 2 Player Vs. option added. The level select is the same as in the Sega Solid Gold Guide screenshot, but it has the final zone names for the title cards.
- Level select is activated with + .
- Debug is activated by holding when selecting a level on the level select screen. It can also be activated by holding when you die.
- Some of the zones that play after the Title Screen are still using the demos from the Nick Arcade/Simon Wai builds.
- This build also features a severely limited debug mode. Item placement mode is not accessible, nor is Sonic invulnerable. The coordinate display functions, however. Item placement mode can be forced using patch codes, but debug remains limited as the player cannot move in item placement mode and items can be placed once.
- In the fourth Special Stage, there are only 42 rings in the first section, yet 45 rings are required. Therefore, it is impossible to get the fourth Chaos Emerald, and consequently impossible to get Super Sonic without hacking.
- The spike behaviour works the same as Sonic 1's spike behaviour .
- Wood Zone and Genocide City Zone have gotten the boot from the level select screen.
- Hidden Palace Zone is disabled in the level select. When hacking a savestate to access HPZ you get the same garbled level as in the final version.
- Music does not change for Mecha Sonic in Death Egg Zone.
- When Sonic dies, the camera follows him all the way to the bottom of the level.
- The Special Stages are different in color and design from the Final Version.
- Even with debug or level select off, you can still restart the game by pressing when the game is paused.
Sonic Retro discussion thread