Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)
From Sonic Retro
I think the page title should be "Sonic the Hedgehog 2", without the "16-bit", because there doesn't seem much point to making "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" a redirect. At the very least, "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" should be a disambiguation page. - Hivebrain 19:42, 26 August 2006 (CDT)
- I think the pages should at least have the (16-bit) and (8-bit) monikers, for clarity/accuracy's sake; however, "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" and "Sonic 2" almost ALWAYS refer to the 16-bit version; I guess that links done with those names could be piped to have the 16-bit address and have those two be disambiguations? ETA: Perhaps not. Over 100 pages link to "Sonic the Hedgehog 2." --Scarred Sun 19:50, 26 August 2006 (CDT)
- I also think it should be called "Sonic the Hedgehog 2", because it doesn't have an 8-bit article, so putting "16-bit" wouldn't make sense. I'm agreeing with Hivebrain. If it is the only Sonic 2 article, then change the page name! 22.214.171.124 My Talk Page 23:42, 9 September 2006 (CDT)
- NOW there is. Before, there WASN'T. 126.96.36.199 My Talk Page 02:41, 10 September 2006 (CDT)
- ...what? It's been there, according to the History file, since September 2004. -Scarred Sun 03:43, 10 September 2006 (CDT)
- http://info.sonicretro.org/index.php?title=Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_%288-bit%29&action=history But that's really not the point. What if the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 page had 16-bit by default but kept a disambig on top and categories saying 16-bit? That's pretty agreeable. - Scarred Sun 23:26, 10 September 2006 (CDT)
Honestly, does it really matter if "16-bit" is in the title. I think it should remain, because when most people talk about Sonic the Hedgehog 2 they are referring to the version on SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive. The kind of processor the game runs on should only be listed in the title of the 8-bit version.-The Opinionated 11:34, 7 June 2012 (CDT)
- The last time anyone cared was 5.75 years ago.
Through the level select code?
The article said before that the Sound Test was accessible via the level select code. While this is true, it's much more readily associated with the Options menu, so I went ahead and made this change. (Notably, the level select in the options menu is where you enter the level select code in the first place.) I feel like I must be missing something though. Was I correct to make this change, or is there in fact something I missed?
(thinking out loud, because any Sonic Retro solution needs to apply to Sega/NEC Retro too)
We've got a lot of information now about specific things developers worked on. As I type this, Yasushi Yamaguchi has revealed a bunch of stuff on Twitter, whereas according to us, he's just "Character Design and Chief Artist". I think we ought to go into more detail... though I'm not yet sure how.
Current thinking: each game gets its own "production credits" sub-page:
First bit: the credits as officially seen in-game or in manuals, plus any uncredited roles under generic labeling (e.g. if someone helped with the music, they are credited as MUSICAN or something).
Second bit: detailed breakdowns. e.g.
- Yasushi Yamaguchi (Judy Totoya)
- Sonic sprite [reference]
- Tails sprite [reference]
- Special stage sprites [reference]
- whatever sprites [reference]
In theory this would allow song credits (e.g. Jun Senoue) to be automated.
Obviously if the details aren't known, or, say, you're Masato Nakamura and did "all of the music", the breakdowns wouldn't be needed. But in the case of Sonic 2, we're able to match artists with enemies and zones, and point out that everything Brenda Ross did was scrapped.
Super duper bonus points if someone wants to have a go making templates. I'm happy to guide, but I want to spread the knowledge around so it's not just a couple of people maintaining them -Black Squirrel (talk) 14:27, 26 November 2022 (EST)
- I 100% agree because I don't like the fact that over on Sega Retro some pages have credits sub-pages while others don't (Same with DLC but I was rectifying that before life made me busy). JaxTH (talk) 11:50, 27 November 2022 (EST)
- Preliminary attempt #1: sega:Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive)/Production credits. It needs references and things.
- There may be more intelligent ways to lay out this information - feel free to experiment -Black Squirrel (talk) 17:25, 28 November 2022 (EST)