Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Beta 6 is a prototype version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive. It is also known as S2BETA6.
This prototype was released by drx during the February 23rd, 2008 proto release. There seem to be two versions of Beta 6; but aside from a couple bytes in the header they're identical, byte-for-byte.
|| This article needs cleanup.|
This article needs to be edited to conform to a higher standard of article quality. Specifically, issues with this article are:
This section needs moving to the comparisons page(s)
After the article has been cleaned up, you may remove this message. See How to Edit a Page for help.
- Level Select code: , , , , , , highlight 1 player, then press + .
- Debug code: , , , , , , , , , , , , highlight 1 player, then press + .
- Level select is still similar to that of Sonic 1 in this build. The level select menu appears behind Sonic and Tails, and Sonic is all black. This is because, as JoseTB explained, "the first line [of the title screen palette] was the background in previous builds, but it's used by sonic in the new title screen. Of course, the level select palette remained untouched with the change."
- The title screen is identical to the final, but the trademark symbol is white instead of yellow.
- Appears to be the first prototype with the options selection.
- "Sonic and "Tails" in" (or "Sonic and Miles," depending on region)
- The special stages remain the same, except with a palette change.
- As in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (beta 4) and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (beta 5), the player can run right past Robotnik in Death Egg.
- The final boss only takes one hit, most likely to facilitate testing of the newly-programmed full ending. In previous builds, Sonic and Tails just fly off to the right.
- Super Sonic's ending is not implemented, Sonic's regular ending is used instead.
- Tails' ending is not implemented; he uses Sonic's.
- The Sonic 1 style spike behavior has been changed.
- The "You got a Chaos Emerald!" screen is glitchy.
- The collision detection in Emerald Hill Zone is a bit wonky in some places.
- If you complete Wing Fortress Zone as Super Sonic, you'll end up jumping over Tails' plane, and fall to your death.
- When Super Sonic clears a level he will not go back to normal Sonic and the ring counter will still continue to drain until it hits zero.
- If Sonic breaks an invincibility monitor and goes Super he will have the invincibility stars. This bug is also in the final.