Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Pink Edition
From Sonic Retro
|Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Pink Edition|
|Last release: 2021-03-30|
|Status: In progress|
|System: Sega Mega Drive|
|Original game: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)|
| Credits: E-122-Psi|
Additional programming and coding by:
MarkeyJester, MainMemory, Selbi, and many others
Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Pink Edition is a character swap hack of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive, with Amy Rose and Cream the Rabbit replacing Sonic the Hedgehog and Tails respectively. Amy Rose's sprites are designed after her modern look. Amy Rose with classic-style sprites is available to play in the Amy Rose in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 hack.
Amy's abilities mirror those she utilized in the Sonic Advance series. She can't roll into a ball or use spin attacks; however, she has a number of abilities (mostly using her Piko Piko Hammer) to gain manoeuvrability and access areas Sonic had difficulty reaching:
- Hammer Attack: Press and Amy swings her hammer, damaging enemies. In addition, Amy can use her hammer to smash obstacles such as walls and hit springs.
- Hammer Jump: Press + on the ground and Amy smashes the hammer into the ground, launching her into the air.
- Hammer Whirl: Press + in the air and Amy swirls down toward the ground. If an enemy is hit Amy will bounce up again.
- Upward Dash: Hold + / while on the ground and Amy will rev her feet on the spot as opposed to a spin dash. Let go of to charge full throttle in the facing direction. Be careful though, Amy is vulnerable to blockading obstacles and enemies.
- Giant Steps: Hold + / while on the ground and Amy will take a giant step forward as opposed to a spin dash. This can be repeated so long as there is room. This move is good for getting up steep slopes; she can even get up slopes the others can't spin dash up!
Cream the Rabbit
Much like Amy, Cream's abilities mimic those in the Advance series. Cream is constantly aided by her pet Chao, Cheese, who can attack enemies on command. If you play as Amy or Big with Cream as your aid, they can also command Cheese:
- Spin Dash: Hold + / while on the ground and Cream will rev up in ball form to perform a spin dash. Let go of to go full throttle in the facing direction.
- Fly: Press / after jumping and Cream will begin fly. She will gain height by tapping A again repeatedly, using the D-pad to control what direction Cream is going. Cream cannot fly underwater.
- Cheese Attack: Press for Cheese to home in and attack a nearby enemy.
Big the Cat
An old ally of Team Rose has joined in the quest to stop Eggman. Big's bulk makes him slower and heavier than the others, but he can smash through obstacles easier and float on water, as well as use his fishing rod to target enemies far away. Big also has a hidden mission mode. Find Froggy hidden in each level (besides Death Egg Zone):
- Attack: Hold to rev back and let go to release.
- Body Slam: Hold and / while jumping to slam into the ground and enemies below. Body slam to break obstacles such as walls and rocks, and hit springs for higher propulsion.
- Float: Big will automatically float in water. Hold to sink.
- Upward Dash: Hold and / while on the ground and Big will rev his feet on the spot as opposed to a spin dash. Let go of to charge full throttle in the facing direction.
Characters gain a few stipulations akin to Knuckles in Sonic 2; for example, the ring quota in Special Stages are depleted and players retain their ring count after losing lives or entering starposts. Unlike Knuckles in Sonic 2 however, 2 Player VS and Options modes still exist.
- New shortcuts added to certain levels.
- Secret paths can be found in Mystic Cave Zone and Metropolis Zone.
- Expanded 2 player VS mode:
- Hill Top Zone is available as the fourth race course.
- "Normal Items" and "No Items" modes added to options.
|Download Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Pink Edition
File: Sonic 2 Pink Edition Rev 2.0.bin (2 MB) (info)
Current version: 2.0
- Sonic 2 Pink Edition Rev 1.9 (info) (2 MB)
- Sonic 2 Pink Edition Rev 1.8.2 (info) (2 MB)
- Sonic 2 Pink Edition Rev 1.8.1 (info) (2 MB)
- Sonic 2 Pink Edition Rev 1.8 (info) (2 MB)
- Sonic 2 Pink Edition Rev 1.7 (info) (2 MB)
- Sonic 2 Pink Edition Rev 1.6.1 (info) (2 MB)
- Sonic 2 Pink Edition Rev 1.6 (info) (2 MB)
- Sonic 2 Pink Edition Rev 1.5 (info) (2 MB)
- Sonic 2 Pink Edition Rev 1.4 (info) (2 MB)
- Sonic 2 Pink Edition Rev 1.3 (info) (748 kB)
- Sonic 2 Pink Edition Rev 1.2 (info) (747 kB)
- Sonic 2 Pink Edition Rev 1.1 (info) (746 kB)
- Sonic 2 Pink Edition Rev 1.0 (info) (685 kB)
- The game was modified by Sonic Retro Member E-122-Psi, with additional programming and coding by other members including MarkeyJester, MainMemory, FraGag, Selbi, and Hayate.
- Cream the Rabbit and Cheese's gameplay was implemented by flamewing.
- Big the Cat's gameplay was co-implemented by Hitaxas.
- New sprite work was done by E-122-Psi and ChelseaCatGirl.
- 2 Player VS Mode expansions were co-implemented by Cinossu, Ralakimus, MoDule and D.A. Garden.
- New secret paths created with the help of CampbellSonic, Hitaxas, MainMemory, Iso Kilo and many others.
- SEGA screen modified with the help of DeltaWooloo and RandomName.