Sonic Spinball (16-bit prototype)
From Sonic Retro
Revision as of 13:29, 21 December 2019 by BSonirachi
|Sonic Spinball (16-bit prototype)|
|Prerelease of: Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball|
|System: Sega Mega Drive|
|Build date: 1993-08|
|ROM size: 1.25 MB|
|Source: EPROM cartridge|
|Found by: PREMIERE, Elliotro|
Built a month prior to the final US build, this prototype is not much different from the final and can be played all the way through, with several differences and a large amount of bugs, particularly in the latter half of the game.
This prototype was originally dumped by PREMIERE sometime in 1993 and distributed over BBS before the game was released, as the ROM contains data for a scene intro by the group. Since its release, the ROM continued to be distributed by the Chinese through ROM sites and bootleg CDs, cartridges, and Super Magic Drive floppies. It was eventually rediscovered by Elliotro in August 2000, allowing it to be properly identified and archived.
| This article needs cleanup.|
This article needs to be edited to conform to a higher standard of article quality. Specifically, issues with this article are:
This section needs moving to the comparisons page(s)
After the article has been cleaned up, you may remove this message. See How to Edit a Page for help.
Error creating thumbnail:
|Main article: Sonic Spinball (16-bit prototype)/Comparisons|
- No sparkle sound effect played during the Sega screen.
- A different / glitchy intro. The video also plays before the Title screen instead of after.
- There is no Options screen.
- There are some different or missing messages from the scrolling bar on the top of the screen.
- Debug mode is available and is activated by simply pausing the game. When debug is active you can position yourself anywhere with the directional pad. This is glitchy, however, as items may be stuck on screen after entering/exiting this mode.
- Different sound effects and music speeds up at some points (especially in bosses).
- The jingles are the same in the first version/Development of the final game.
- There is a variation of the Intro tune, as well as a song that may be a early version of The Machine in the ROM. They can be accessed via hacking or opening the ROM in M1. (or listening the VGMs)
- The ROM is partially overdumped. At the end of the ROM is a copy of another game, Sub-Terrania.
- Animals that appear from badniks are different.
- Ferrons are known as forebots.
- Boss graphics remain mainly intact on defeat.
- No eruption timer.
- Hatchways rather than safety lids.
- Sonic is off center in the cut scene when collecting an Emerald.
- Using the switch that moves the bridge up will play a small Sonic 2 sound bite.
- In Toxic Caves, falling off into the water in the bottom pinball board yields instant death, instead of the usual splashing, then death two seconds later.
- In Toxic Caves, there is a layer of sludge around the bucket.
- Extra badnik in Showdown.
- Trigger on Showdown boss is more helpful.
- An invincible final boss. Due to this, the game cannot be beaten.
- The Machine uses the music of The Showdown
|Download Sonic Spinball (16-bit prototype)
File: Sonic Spinball (Beta).7z (487 kB) (info)
|Sonic Spinball (16-bit prototype), prerelease version of Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball|
|Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball (16-bit)|