From Sonic Retro
Revision as of 09:32, 4 February 2023 by BSonirachi (talk | contribs)
|System(s): PlayStation Portable|
|Developer: Backbone Entertainment|
|Supporting companies: 4Kids Productions (voice recording)|
|Number of players: 1-2|
Sonic Rivals is a game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series, developed by Backbone Entertainment exclusively for the PlayStation Portable. This is the first Sonic game to be developed by a Canadian company, and the first to be released on the PSP.
Sonic Rivals starts as a competition between Sonic and Knuckles, but expands as further rivals get added to the mix, including Shadow, Silver, and Metal Sonic.
One day, a mysterious landmass known as "Onyx Island" suddenly appears in the south seas as if out of nowhere. Suspecting another scheme by Dr. Eggman, Sonic and Tails head for the island to investigate, and their suspicions are proven correct when they find Eggman holding up a card depicting Amy Rose.
The evil genius claims he has sealed Amy away inside the card. While Sonic simply brushes off Eggman's supposedly ridiculous story, Tails is suddenly turned into a card by Eggman. At that point, Knuckles also arrives to confront Eggman regarding the Master Emerald, which he has also turned into a card. As Eggman flies away, both Sonic and Knuckles compete with each other to defeat Eggman.
Shadow and Silver also arrive on Onyx Island with their own goals, with the former summoned to the island by a request for help from Eggman.
Sonic Rivals features competitive 2.5D gameplay, as players scramble to reach the end of a level before the other players do (whether they are computer-controlled or live opponents). Players are capable of performing Boosts to clear specific obstacles when prompted (with to perform an Air Boost and to perform a Speed Boost), and players can attack each other using Power-Ups or by pressing when right behind them to shove them, or twice to leapfrog over them. It otherwise plays very much like the older titles in the series.
Single player consists of a Story Mode, in which each of the four playable characters have separate storylines, and must race each other to the finish line in each stage in order to thwart Dr. Eggman's various schemes. Multiplayer mode is played via ad-hoc, and players can customize their racers using collectible cards won in Single player, trade cards with friends, and wager cards on races.
There are six Zones to play through, each with two regular Acts. Boss battles, which have their own dedicated Acts at the end of Zones, require players to not only defeat the boss, but also prevent their rivals from defeating it before them (except for Sky Park Zone). Badniks are featured as enemies, though some are similar to those of Sonic Heroes.
Rivals features an extensive collectible card system that spans a total of 150 cards, and performing objectives throughout the game will award a player with said cards. Such tasks include getting a certain number of Rings, hitting their rival a certain number of times and getting to the goal within a certain amount of time. Each of the cards feature cameo appearances of robots, major characters, minor characters, box covers, and items from past Sonic games such as Sonic Heroes, Sonic Adventure, Shadow the Hedgehog, and even dating back to the original Sonic the Hedgehog. The cards themselves are used to unlock secret costumes for the characters among other things.
|Sonic the Hedgehog|
|This hedgehog is the fastest living being in the universe. He's defeated Dr. Eggman to save the world numerous times, but this time he's discovered that his best friends, Tails and Amy, have been mysteriously turned into Cards. Now it's a race to take down the nefarious Dr. Eggman once and for all and free his friends!
His Signature Move is Sonic Boom, which gives him a burst of speed.
|Knuckles the Echidna|
|The guardian of the Master Emerald, Knuckles is as tough as they come. Unfortunately, the Master Emerald has been stolen right out from under his nose and turned into a Card by Dr. Eggman. Now this renowned echidna must race to find the Master Emerald and take down the evil mastermind behind this insidious plot.
His Signature Move is Hammer Punch, which stuns his rival no matter where they are.
|Shadow the Hedgehog|
|Shadow was created as the ultimate life form by Professor Gerald Robotnik, the greatest scientific genius of his time. Possessing the power to use the Chaos Emeralds to perform "Chaos Control," he has the ability to manipulate time and space. Summoned by Dr. Eggman via a cryptic transmission asking for his aid, Shadow encounters something strange and now it's a race to find Eggman and uncover the truth!
His Signature Move is Chaos Control, which temporarily slows down his rival.
|Silver the Hedgehog|
|A mysterious young silver hedgehog, Silver is equipped with psychic powers that allow him to propel items through the air with the power of his mind! The only thing Silver really knows is that he is searching for someone... but for whom, and more importantly, why? Shrouded in mystery, Silver begins to chase after Dr. Eggman to find the clues that will unlock his quest.
His Signature Move is Psychic Control, which scrambles the controls of his rival.
|Metal Sonic is a hidden character who is fought as a rival by the other characters during the story. He can be unlocked as a playable character by beating the game with the other four characters (in no particular order).
His Signature Move is Copycat, which copies his rival's Signature Move.
Players can find Power-Ups hovering in the air, and can be used by pressing . Each Power Up has an Offensive use and a Defensive use. When a player is ahead of their rival, the Power Up will be used defensively; if they are behind their rival, the Power Up will be used offensively.
|Power Up||Offensive effect||Defensive effect||Zones|
|Fire||Rolling Fireball||Fire Shield||All|
|Ice||Snow Blast||Ice Cube||All|
|Mine||Floating Homing Mine||Stationary Mine||3+|
|Illusion||Confusion||Decoy Zapper Rings||4+|
|Wind||Shoot Tornado||Drop Tornado||3+|
|Ring Magnet||Ring Magnet||Ring Magnet||3+|
|Star||Signature Move||Signature Move||All|
- Blue Chaos Cup: Complete all challenges for Death Yard Zone.
- Cyan Chaos Cup: Complete all challenges for Colosseum Highway Zone.
- Green Chaos Cup: Complete all challenges for Forest Falls Zone.
- Grey Chaos Cup: Complete every challenge in the game.
- Purple Chaos Cup: Complete all challenges for Meteor Base Zone.
- Red Chaos Cup: Complete all challenges for Sky Park Zone.
- Yellow Chaos Cup: Complete all challenges for Crystal Mountain Zone.
- Knuckles Skin: Complete story mode with Knuckles.
- Metal Sonic Skin: Unlock Metal Sonic.
- Shadow Skin: Complete story mode with Shadow.
- Silver Skin: Complete story mode with Silver.
- Sonic Skin: Complete story mode with Sonic.
|Main article: Sonic Rivals/Card collection|
Also released for
- Double Rivals Attack Pack! for the PlayStation Portable (2011)
- Project Director: Takashi Iizuka
- Project Associate Producer: Keith Palmer
- Art Supervisors: Kazuyuki Hoshino, Hiroshi Nishiyama
- Sound Supervisor: Jun Senoue
- Concept Design & Scenario: Takashi Iizuka
- Character Artwork: Kazuyuki Hoshino
- Producer: Taylor Miller
- Lead Engineer: Peter Phillips
- Lead Designer: Tyler Sigman
- Lead Artist: Chris Bourassa
- Senior Designer: Derek Tam
- Lead Level Designer: Eric Emery
- Lead Level Artist: Mabel Chan
- Effects Artist and Animation Coordinator: Daniel Lam
- Technical Artist: Eric Ronay
- Lead Animator: Karen Matskiw-Rodriguez
- Associate Producer: Zoë Curnoe
- Engineers: Aaron Koenig, Brian Provinciano, Chuck Chow, Clinton Blackmore, Devin Murnane, Francois Laberge, Greg Wilson, Jim Lao, Kelvin Tang, Luke Huang, Melina Eby, Richard Orth, Erwin Tang, Marcel Barker, Pete Thompson
- Designers: Cory Hasselbach, Kyle Mohammed, Nick Letizia, Richard Knight
- Artists: Aaron Parrott, Beth Dewhirst, Brent Kirby, Erik Larsson, John Mah, Kate Freeman, Kim Sawula, Shane Holmes
- Animators: Chun Sin Loh, Duncan Lin
- Front End Artist: Mark Pearce
- Additional Design Assistance: Josh Zisserson, Michael K. Donovan
- Studio Quality Assurance: Tom "MrLuigi" McGarry
- Testing Provided by QA Labs: Justin Bruckal, Chris Love
- Music Composition: Chris Rezanson
- Sound Effects Design: OMNI Interactive Audio, Alistair Hirst, Robert Ridihalgh, Daylon Walden, Tom Smurdon, Chase Combs, Lisa Elliott Cobb
- Senior Producer: Ivan Allan
- Assistant Producer: Jarett Metcalfe
- Studio Head: Joe Bonar
- Technical Director: George Phillips
- Creative Director: Trent Ward
- Art Director: Ryan Slemko
- Business Development: Jim Sink
- Senior Engineer (CORE Engine Team): Ian McLean
- Senior Engineers (Reaper Engine Team): David Aldridge, Issac Bender, Tanio Klyce, Peter Phillips
- Engineers: Rocco Balsamo, Dan Halpern, Benn Herrera, Chris Marsh, Ian Sherman, J. Wilburn
- Senior Technical Artist: Norm Badillo
- Technical Artists: Mike Badillo, Glen McKnight, Justin Rosenthal-Kambis
- Senior Designer: Aaron Keppel
- Design-Scripting: Chris Opdahl, Marty Newcomb, Joe Morrissey, Dan Miller
- Technical Director: David R. Sullivan
- Creative Director: Micah Russo
- Studio Head: Mike Mika
- COO: Larry Kelly
- Senior Producer: Steven Kovensky
- PR/Marketing: Nicole Tanner (Communications Manager), Sandra Lew (Communications Assistant)
- CEO: Naoya Tsurumi
- President/COO: Simon Jeffery
- VP of Product Development: David Cobb
- Associate Producer: Jason Kuo
- Technical Director: Jez Sherlock
- VP Marketing: Scott Steinberg
- VP Sales: Sue Hughes-Taigen
- Director of Marketing: Don Mesa
- Product Manager: Yosuke Moriya
- PR: Dana Whitney (One PR)
- Creative Services: Jen Groeling, Heather Luchetti, Bridget Oates
- Head of Operations: Tom Dudley
- Online: Chris Olson, Michael Dobbins
- Mastering Lab: Rey Buzon, Andrew Byrne, Rhianna Kellom
- Production Specialist: Heather Lucchetti
- Graphic Designer: Marco Garcia
- QA Manager: Deni Skeens
- QA Supervisor: Joshua Morton
- Senior Test Lead: Shawn Dobbins
- Assistant Leads: Michael Baldwin, Anthony Banks, Ben Seto
- Testers: Alice Grunstra, Amber Crouch, Christian Sutton, Dane Day, Emily Sheafe, Fernando Arce, Gabriel Parulis, Jacob Holub, Jeremy Bell, Loren Watson, Marvin Hom, Terence Destouet, Tim Erbil, Teresa Guest, Tony Sato
- Compliancy Test Lead: Stephen Akana
- Compliancy Assistant Lead: Lawrence Mann
- Compliancy Testers: Steve Fleming, Joe Floyd, Jason Mahar
- CEO: Naoya Tsurumi
- President/COO: Mike Hayes
- Development Director: Gary Dunn
- Creative Director: Matt Woodley
- Director of European Marketing: Gary Knight
- Head of External Development: Jim Woods
- Head of Development - Localization: Kuniyo Matsumoto
- Localization Producer: Ben Barker
- Director of Brand Marketing: David Miller
- European PR: Lynn Daniel, Kerry Martyn, Alistair Hatch
- Senior Brand Manager: Mark Fisher
- Assistant Brand Manager: Claire Brummell, Michele Dix
- International Brand Manager: Ben Chalmers-Stevens
- Publishing Manager: Nathalie Ransom
- Head of UK Marketing: Tina Hicks
- UK Product Manager: Grant Gie
- UK PR Manager: Stef McGarry
- UK Trade Marketing Manager: Clare Davis
- Legal Counsel: Nicola Steel, Mark Bennett
- Licensing Manager: Nivine Emeran
- Operations: Mark Simmons, Caroline Searle, Natalie Cooke, Michelle Blake
- Creative Services: Tom Bingle, Alison Warfield, Morgan Gibbons, Akane Hiraoka, Arnoud Tempelaere
- Head of Online Services: Justin Moodie
- Online Marketing Manager: Mike Evans
- Online Development Manager: Nina Ahmad
- Online Creative Manager: Bennie Booyson
- Web Designer: Bennie Booyson
- Head of Development Services: Mark Le Breton
- Localization Manager: Marta Lois González
- Localization Coordinator: Giuseppe Rizzo
- Translators: Daniela Kaynert, Brigitte Nadesan, Maria Chironi, Luis Paredes Gómez, Jay Bannmüller, Antonella Marras, Carole Kunzelman, Antonio Catanese, Sebàstian Pérez Salguero
- Mastering Group: John Hegarty, Roy Boateng, Jigar Patel
- QA Supervisors: Marlon Grant, Stuart Arrowsmith, Julie Metior
- Senior Team Lead: George Cover
- Assistant Team Lead: Mark Cant
- Testers: Leon Stuart, Kasim Rehman, Jamie Bailey, Colin Blenman, Lee Heir, Michael Husbands
- Standards Coordinator: Mohammed Ajaib
- Assistant Standards Coordinators: Justin Amore, Mike Hanley
- Standards Testers: Peter Leung, Shiva Allari, Nicky Koetze
- Language Coordinators: Jean Baptiste-Bagot, Sven Wittmaack
- Language Testers: Stephane Ramael, Joe Hellman Juan Perez
- Special Thanks to: David Allen
- Voice Directors: Christopher Collet, Julie Rath
- Production Coordinator: Salvatore Oppedisano
- Recording Engineers: Suzy Goldish, Paul Grassini, Mike Knoblauch, Alon Namdar, Questar Welsh
- Special Thanks: Tom Zuber, Matt Osness, Bob Baffy, Jessica Sigman, Darren Tarnoff, Paul and David Chan, Lily, Kitty Tang, Marty Hasselbach, Carla St. Pierre, Tara Mustapha, Mary Jane, Teruko Mizuki, Audrey Bourassa, Lisa Poh, NeoGaf, Andrea, Tony Rodriguez, Lindsay Morris, Matthew Fortini, Geraldine Kor, Kim Keskinen, Conner Fan, Carlin, Nicole, Karl and Natalie, Coleco and Brooke, Brynn, Beejey Enriquez, Mina Provonsha, Aya Takeuchi, Lee Brotherton (Remix Factory), Sonic Committee
- Presented by: Sega Corporation
- Manual Documentation: Greg Off
- Manual Design: Tim Lindquist (a.s.h.)
|Main article: Sonic Rivals/Manuals|
- ↑ http://www.us.playstation.com/games/suggested?link=Publisher&SceaId=ULUS-10220 (Wayback Machine: 2007-09-07 11:24)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 PlayStation Store (en-us; UP0177-ULUS10195_00-SONICRIVALS01PSP) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-28 23:48)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 PlayStation Store (en-gb; EP0177-ULES00622_00-PPCSONICRI000002) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-28 23:50)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 PlayStation Store (fr-fr; EP0177-ULES00622_00-PPCSONICRI000002) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-28 23:50)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 PlayStation Store (de-de; EP0177-ULES00622_00-PPCSONICRI000002) (Wayback Machine: 2019-02-21 21:40)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 PlayStation Store (en-au; EP0177-ULES00622_00-PPCSONICRI000002) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-28 23:50)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 File:SonicRivals PSP US manual.pdf, page 10
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 File:SonicRivals PSP US manual.pdf, page 11
|Sonic the Hedgehog games for the following systems|
| 2006 Sonic Rivals | Sega Genesis Collection 2007 Sonic Rivals 2 2009 Sega Fun Pack: Sonic Rivals 2 & Sega Genesis Collection 2011 Double Rivals Attack Pack! |
Prototypes Sonic Rivals 2