Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie comics)
From Sonic Retro
|The main article for this category is Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie comics)...|
|Sonic the Hedgehog|
|Publisher: Archie Comics|
|Country of origin: United States|
|First issue date: 1992-11-24|
|Last issue date: 2017-02|
|Number of issues: 290|
Sonic the Hedgehog was a series of comic books produced by United States-based comic book publisher Archie Comics between 1992 and 2017. With issues being released monthly during its 25 year publication (including spin-off publications, compilations and crossovers with other Archie properties) it is currently the longest running and likely most successful form of Sonic-related licensed media after the video games, and was recognised as the longest running comic series based on a video game by Guinness World Records even prior to its eventual discontinuation.
While officially licensed by Sega, the comics featured a continuity separate from the video games as the series initially started as a collective adaptation of the television series Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and the Saturday morning Sonic the Hedgehog show, with lead character Sonic the Hedgehog being a member of a group of animal Freedom Fighters, initially aiming to liberate the planet Mobius from Dr. Robotnik. As the series progressed following the cancellation of both shows, it would attempt to incorporate the stories from newer Sonic the Hedgehog video games and other media, while also maintaining its own lore, complete with a set of original characters.
Following an undisclosed abrupt hiatus in early 2017, Sega announced the cancellation of the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comics on July 19, 2017. It was succeeded by a new comic book series published by IDW Publishing in April 2018, with some of the creative talents from the Archie series working on it.The reason for the comic book's abrupt discontinuation remains officially undisclosed, but it is heavily suspected by the fandom and press it may be related to various legal disputes Archie Comics has been facing with some of the comic book's former writers, and a history of internal management conflicts not directly related to the comic book series. In addition, Archie Comics was in a transitional period to focus on reinventing their own original intellectual properties, and moving away from publishing licensed comic books in general, as Sonic the Hedgehog and its spin-offs were the last remaining licensed comic book series discontinued by Archie Comics.
- http://archie-blogs.archiecomics.com/sonic/2008/07/from_the_cuinness_book_of_worl.html (Wayback Machine: 2008-09-12 13:57)
- Sega on Twitter - Posted 2017-07-19
This category has the following 20 subcategories, out of 20 total.
- Sonic Boom (Archie comics) issues
- Sonic Quest: The Death Egg Saga issues
- Sonic Super Digest issues
- Sonic Super Special issues
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie comics) characters
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie comics) issues
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie comics) locations
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie) special issues
- Sonic the Hedgehog Archives issues
- Sonic the Hedgehog Free Comic Book Day issues
- Sonic the Hedgehog Mini-Series issues
- Sonic the Hedgehog Presents: Princess Sally issues
- Sonic the Hedgehog's Buddy Tails issues
- Sonic Universe issues
- Sonic X (Archie comics) issues
- Sonic's Friendly Nemesis Knuckles issues
Pages in category "Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie comics)"
The following 16 pages are in this category, out of 16 total.
- Sabrina the Teenage Witch 28
- Sonic Boom (Archie comics)
- Sonic Legacy Series
- Sonic Saga Series
- Sonic Select
- Sonic Super Digest
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie comics)
- Sonic the Hedgehog Archives
- Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia
- Sonic Universe
- Sonic X (Archie comics)
- Sonic: Genesis