Sonic Gems Collection/Hidden content
From Sonic Retro
- Back to: Sonic Gems Collection.
Switch to Japanese soundtrack for Sonic CD
It is possible to restore the Japanese soundtrack to Sonic the Hedgehog CD in the EU PlayStation 2 version of Sonic Gems Collection by editing the ISO in a hex editor. Just open the ISO, search for "BGM_US" and scroll down to line 1353439A and replace the "US" with "JP". After being saved, the game will run the Japanese soundtrack.
By using an Action Replay on the GameCube version of Sonic Gems Collection, it is possible to show the title graphics and name of games that were removed from the final version of the compilation, though the game data itself is missing. Two of these cut games, Monster World IV and Sonic Eraser, use an orange-red "MD" icon, likely to denote that they were Japanese-only release games. To display these games in place of Sonic the Fighters, use the code 021CCD5B 0000XXXX, where XXXX is substituted for the following:
- 3030 ??? (used for game not yet unlocked)
- 3031 Sonic the Fighters (AG)
- 3032 Sonic CD (SCD)
- 3033 Sonic R (SS)
- 3034 Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GG)
- 3035 Sonic Spinball (GG)
- 3036 Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble (GG)
- 3037 Sonic Drift 2 (GG)
- 3038 Tails' Skypatrol (GG)
- 3039 Tails Adventures (GG)
- 3130 Vectorman (SG)
- 3131 Vectorman 2 (SG)
- 3132 Bonanza Bros. (MD)
- 3133 Streets of Rage (MD)
- 3134 Streets of Rage 2 (MD)
- 3135 Streets of Rage 3 (MD)
- 3136 Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (MD)
- 3137 Wonder Boy in Monster World (MD)
- 3138 Monster World IV (MD*)
- 3139 Sonic Eraser (MD*)
Duplicate museum images
As items #301-319 in the Museum are game demos and videos rather than images, there are a number of unused images assigned to those items which are duplicates of other items. Images 301-311 are duplicates of image #200, while images 312-319 are duplicates of images 287-294. Notably, the image assigned to item #314, "illust314g", is a glitched version of item #289 with a tile from item #290 overlaid on it.
The following strings are found in text_e.utx and are encoded in Shift-JIS.
English descriptions for Japan-only games
Unused English descriptions for the four games that were removed from Western releases:
|Bonanza Bros.||Streets of Rage||Streets of Rage 2||Streets of Rage 3|
History of "BONANZA BROS." Released on May 17, 1991. We're Bonanza Brothers! We steal as our own brand of justice! Get into Bad Town, the city of villains that threaten regular folks, sneak into wicked companies, bogus casinos and counterfeit-bill mints to find the proof needed to incriminate the criminals!! Once you have all pieces of evidence within 3 minutes, you will complete the stage!
History of "Streets of Rage" Released on August 2, 1991. The first title of the Bare Knuckle series. The town that had been peaceful fell into the hands of a mob syndicate. Violence and crime rage in the city, fear and despair... Three youths who are ex-policemen decide to destroy the syndicate with their own hands. You've got one weapon; smash the syndicate with your clenched fists (Bare Knuckle)!!
History of "Streets of Rage 2" Released on November 14, 1993. The second title of the "Bare Knuckle" series. Two new characters as well as the Battle mode among players are added. The syndicate that once ruled the city with violence and crime, and that was thought to have been defeated has returned. Kidnapping Adam is their next move against our heroes. Thus challenged by Mr. X, the mob boss, the four decide take the battle to him once and for all. Break through one after another opponent to rescue Adam!
History of "Streets of Rage 3" Released on March 18, 1994. The third title of the "Bare Knuckle" series. A mysterious explosion occurred in Wook Oak City. Smash the ambition of the syndicate that now has a terrible atomic element, Raksin, that is the cause of the explosion! With new elements "Growing Special Move" and "Weapon Special Move", the title further progressed from the previous one, and features co-op 2-player gameplay! Burn, fighting spirit!! Roar, iron fist!!
Unused strings referring to the Xbox. Since Sonic Gems Collection was never released for the Xbox, these are never used.
Do not turn off your Xbox console. There is no Setting Data on your Xbox. Please don't turn off your Xbox console. Your Xbox doesn't have enough free blocks to save games. You need to free %2d more blocks. If you select "Return to Xbox Dashboard", the current progress of the game will be lost. Return to Xbox Dashboard.
ROM information about games from PS2 version
From Goodgen 3.21
- Bare Knuckle III (J) [!].bin
- Bonanza Bros. (JE) (REV01) [!].bin
- Dong Gu Ri Te Chi Jak Jeon (K).bin
- Sonic 3D Blast (UE) [!].bin
- Sonic and Knuckles (W) [!].bin
- Sonic Spinball (J) [!].bin
- Sonic The Hedgehog (W) (REVXB).bin
- Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (W) (REV01) [b8].bin
- Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (J) [!].bin
- Streets of Rage (W) (REV01) [!].bin
- Vectorman (UE) [!].bin
- Vectorman 2 (U) [!].bin
Only Bare Knuckle 2 is unknown.
- [Sonic Retro forum thread: Sonic Gems Collection PS2 hex editing Sonic Retro forum thread: Sonic Gems Collection PS2 hex editing]
- [Sonic Retro forum thread: The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.; post #991380 by biggestsonicfan Sonic Retro forum thread: The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.; post #991380 by biggestsonicfan]
- [Sonic Retro forum thread: The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.; post #993511 by biggestsonicfan Sonic Retro forum thread: The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.; post #993511 by biggestsonicfan]
|Sonic Gems Collection|