Sonic 2 Dimps Edition
From Sonic Retro
|Sonic 2 Dimps Edition|
|Last release: 2010-10-30|
|System: Sega Mega Drive|
|Original game: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)|
| Credits: Spanner, MarkeyJester, qiuu, Selbi,|
shobiz, snkenjoi, Tweaker, DalekSam, E-122-Psi, MattATobin
Sonic 2 Dimps Edition is a hack of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 by Spanner. This hack attempts to mimic what Sonic 2 may have been like if it were created by Dimps. This means incorporating many features found in Dimps games such as random speed boosters. This does not include features common in most modern Sonic titles with the exception of a homing attack. The hack was discontinued due to various reasons and there was currently no intention to return to it, except that somebody else now has the source code and is intending to finish off the job. Version 1.5 was uploaded to fix some reported bugs.
Why was this hack created?
|“||The idea for this hack came when I wanted to do something for the hacking contest which didn't involve innuendo special stages and a slideshow that you've probably seen and had to bleach your eyes after viewing. So, why don't I take the piss out of Dimps! We all know how bad Dimps are with Sonic games, such as placing speed boosters everywhere for no reason other to hide their shitty physics. As well as that, their latest game Sonic the Hedgehog 4 has caused a lot of fuss with their choice of objects too as well as poor physics, dust and a lot of other stuff.||„|
Passing the Episodic Torch
Sonic 2 Dimps Edition was cancelled in October 2010 due to various issues, the biggest one being that Spanner did not want to continue the hack if he had to rely on many people to assist him. So, the project was consigned to an underground bunker in the dark, cold depths of Antarctica until MattATobin approached him over taking over the hack. Spanner was reluctant to pass it on for months until he asked qiuu if somebody could work on the hack regardless of his homing attack code (ported over from Sonic CD++, an example of paying people to do your work reasonably). Then, everything was passed over, salvaged from a crate labeled "Not to be Opened until Duke Nukem Forever is Released". There are a few things in the works for the revisited hack, with Episode I set to be released whenever Tobin feels like doing it. Perhaps it will be better than the 3DS version of Sonic Generations, but we'll see.
- Freshly programmed speed boosters which will be in every level (except Sky Chase Zone since the level is played on top of the Tornado).
- Homing Attack which can be abused just like Sonic 4 forces you to.
- Uncurling after hitting a badnik or spring.
- The Sonic 4 version of the spikeless Bubbles badnik, available in Metropolis Zone Act 3 in this release in an area where you will be forced to rebound off them or die.
- Sonic only gameplay (The removal of Tails as a playable character was actually because Tails' VRAM space is used for the dash pads)
- A botched up soundtrack, much like Jun Senoue's soundtrack in Sonic the Hedgehog 4.
- Boss theme replaced with a port of the Sonic 3D unused track which is being used as a boss theme for Sonic 4.
- A few physics tweaks to dumb down the game.
- Title screen menu removed (no point for 2P mode and the options menu).
- Misplaced sound effects for a few things.
|Download Sonic 2 Dimps Edition
File: S2Dimps-v1.5.zip (746 kB) (info)
Current version: Version 1.5