Sonic 2 Dimps Edition
From Sonic Retro
|Sonic 2 Dimps Edition
|Last release: 2010-10-30
|System: Sega Mega Drive
|Original game: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)
| Credits: Spanner, MarkeyJester, qiuu, Selbi,
shobiz, snkenjoi, Tweaker, DalekSam, E-122-Psi
Sonic 2 Dimps Edition is a hack of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 by Spanner. This hack attempts to mimic what Sonic 2 may have been like if it were created by Dimps. This means incorporating many features found in Dimps games such as random speed boosters. This does not include features common in most modern Sonic titles with the exception of a homing attack. The hack was discontinued due to various reasons.
Why was this hack created?
|The idea for this hack came when I wanted to do something for the hacking contest which didn't involve innuendo special stages and a slideshow that you've probably seen and had to bleach your eyes after viewing. So, why don't I take the piss out of Dimps! We all know how bad Dimps are with Sonic games, such as placing speed boosters everywhere for no reason other to hide their shitty physics. As well as that, their latest game Sonic the Hedgehog 4 has caused a lot of fuss with their choice of objects too as well as poor physics, dust and a lot of other stuff.
- Freshly programmed speed boosters which will be in every level (except Sky Chase Zone since the level is played on top of the Tornado).
- Homing Attack which can be abused just like Sonic 4 forces you to.
- Uncurling after hitting a badnik or spring.
- The Sonic 4 version of the spikeless Bubbles badnik, available in Metropolis Zone Act 3 in this release in an area where you will be forced to rebound off them or die.
- Sonic only gameplay (The removal of Tails as a playable character was actually because Tails' VRAM space is used for the dash pads)
- A botched up soundtrack, much like Jun Senoue's soundtrack in Sonic the Hedgehog 4.
- Boss theme replaced with a port of the Sonic 3D unused track which is being used as a boss theme for Sonic 4.
- A few physics tweaks to dumb down the game.
- Title screen menu removed (no point for 2P mode and the options menu).
- Misplaced sound effects for a few things.
|Download Sonic 2 Dimps Edition
File: S2Dimps-v1.5.zip (746 kB) (info)
Current version: Version 1.5