Sonic 1 Beta Hoax
From Sonic Retro
|Sonic 1 Beta Hoax|
|Last release: 05/10/99|
|System: Sega Mega Drive|
|Original game: Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit)|
|Credits: Cyan Helkaraxe|
Sonic 1 Beta Hoax is a ROM hack created by Cyan Helkaraxe in 1999. When it was first released, it was purposely not described as being a hoax. As a result, many individuals mistakenly thought for a time that it was a legitimate prototype of Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Mega Drive.
In 1999, Cyan Helkaraxe wanted to stir up more interest in Sonic 1 among the Sonic community. He decided to do something which had never been done at that time: create a ROM hack. The resulting hack would become known as the Sonic 1 Beta Hoax.
Cyan set to work on the Sonic 1 ROM, researching its internal workings primarily by a trial and error process, since there was absolutely no documentation on Sonic 1 available at the time. His goal was to create a hoax prototype a game that mimicked the behavior of a "genuine" Sonic 1 prototype.
In May 1999, Cyan released his hack to Simon Wai's Sonic 2 Beta page. The ROM was deliberately not listed as a hoax; rather, it was released under the title "Sonic 1 beta?".
The release of the hoax prototype stirred up more interest in Sonic 1, and when it was identified as a hoax, Andy Wolan invited Cyan to the Sonic Stuff Research Group for his work in creating the ROM hack.
- No SEGA Sound.
- No title cards.
- No "GAME OVER" text appears when you run out of lives.
- Music sounds different.
- Only Green Hill, Sparkling, Starlight, and Final Fight work. All other zones cause emulators to stop.
- Both Labyrinth and Clock Work Zone are neither implemented.
- Level Select has 2 renamed zones.
- Final Zone has three stages (neither implemented) and boss has its own stage: Final Fight.
- Special stage is called Special Zone (and not implemented).
- Sound test is unreliable.
- Zones are differently colored.
- Green Hill Zone appears to be at an early stage in development.
- Sonic has a different palette.
- The ending sequence does not work.
- Beating the boss of some levels, including Green Hill Zone and Star Light Zone, results in the game crashing with an Address Error.
- Waiting on the Stage Select screen too long will cause the game to crash.
- The "TIME OVER" text doesn't appear on the screen when the player reaches 10 minutes.
|Download Sonic 1 Beta Hoax
File: Sonic_1_Beta_Hoax.zip (351 kB) (info)
Fume Cupboard Facility Cyan's website. Beta hoax is listed under "Sonic 1 Hoax" in "Coding Capers."