Sonic & Knuckles Collection SMPS Player
From Sonic Retro
|Sonic & Knuckles Collection SMPS Player|
|Last release: 2015-10-08|
|Original game: Sonic & Knuckles Collection|
|Credits: MainMemory, ValleyBell|
Sonic & Knuckles Collection SMPS Player is a mod that replaces Sonic & Knuckles Collection's MIDI-based music system with one that emulates the SMPS sound driver from the Megadrive version.
- SMPS playback using ValleyBell's core with better-than-MD quality.
- Restores Sonic 3's midboss music when playing Sonic 3 mode.
- Restores fadeouts when appropriate.
- Includes SMPS versions of PC-only tracks and tracks from prototypes.
- Can be used together with the HQ music mod and the original MIDI music.
- Can be configured to use FM drums.
- Can play different tracks depending on the current zone or current character in Sonic 3 & Knuckles mode.
- Includes music from the Mega Drive versions of Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic 1, and Sonic 2.
- Restores "SEGA" chant, using high quality sample from Sonic Mega Collection.
- Resumes music properly after 1-up jingle.
Simply extract the 7z archive to the folder where Sonic & Knuckles Collection is installed, then there are three options depending on how you want to set it up:
- To have the SMPS player as the default with the MIDI player as a fallback, rename the original MIDIOUT.DLL to MIDIOUTY.DLL, then rename SMPSOUT.DLL to MIDIOUT.DLL.
- To have the SMPS player as the default with the HQ music mod as a fallback, rename the original MIDIOUT.DLL to MIDIOUTX.DLL, rename the HQ music DLL to MIDIOUTY.DLL, then rename SMPSOUT.DLL to MIDIOUT.DLL.
- To have the HQ music mod as the default with the SMPS player as a fallback, rename the original MIDIOUT.DLL to MIDIOUTY.DLL, rename SMPSOUT.DLL to MIDIOUTX.DLL, then rename the HQ music DLL to MIDIOUT.DLL.
By creating and editing an 'SMPSOUT.ini' file or using the 'SMPSCFG.exe' program included, you can change which tracks the game plays on a per-game basis or globally. Per-game settings other than "Default" will override the global settings.
- A setting of "MIDI" on any track will cause the game to play music using either the original MIDI player or the HQ music mod, depending on how it was installed.
- Tracks with options other than "Default" and "MIDI" will also have a "Random" option, which will cause the game to randomly select one of the additional options every time the track is played.
- Applicable tracks may have "ByCharacter" set in the "S3K" section, which will cause the track to play the selection from the "S3" section when playing as Sonic and/or Tails, and the "S&K" section when playing as Knuckles.
- Applicable tracks may have "ByZone" set in the "S3K" section, which will cause the track to play the selection from the "S3" section when in a Sonic 3 zone, and the "S&K" section when in a Sonic & Knuckles zone.
- If you add the line "FMDrums=True" to 'SMPSOUT.ini' and set Sonic & Knuckles Collection's BGM mode to "FM Synthesizer", the music will be played using FM drums rather than drum samples.