Chaotix (prototype 1207)
From Sonic Retro
|Chaotix (prototype 1207)|
|Prerelease of: Chaotix|
|System: Sega 32X|
|Build date: 1994-12-07|
|ROM size: 3 MB|
|Source: CD-R disc|
|Found by: drx|
Chaotix prototype "1207" is a pre-release build of Chaotix for the Sega 32X. With a compile date of December 7, 1994, this is currently the earliest dumped and preserved version of Chaotix other than Sonic Crackers.
This version of Chaotix is noticeably incomplete. While all levels can be accessed (though the Stage Select screen at least), some are missing objects and Rings, and the bosses of Amazing Arena and Speed Slider have yet to be implemented. None of the Special Stages have goals, and some characters are missing their unique moves, however there is enough here to demonstrate the gist of the game to the gaming press.
|Main article: Chaotix (prototype 1207)/Comparisons|
| This article needs cleanup.|
This article needs to be edited to conform to a higher standard of article quality. Specifically, issues with this article are:
This section needs moving to the comparisons page(s)
After the article has been cleaned up, you may remove this message. See How to Edit a Page for help.
- The ROM header says "Knuckles' Ringstar."
- Wechnia's palette in this proto is very different. It consists of mostly orange/yellow/red colors, implying that he was Tails at one point. In fact, some colors match perfectly or near-perfectly with Tails' palette from Crackers. In this proto, the palette is used. In later protos, the palette exists but Wechnia's palette pointer points to Mighty's palette instead. Presently, Wechnia is unplayable due to crashing issues.
- Graphics for a water splash are located in the ROM. Identical to Sonic 1's splash graphics.
- There's an odd skull graphic found in the ROM with some Japanese text underneath it that reads "tobu" (which is usually used in Japanese in reference to tobacco).
- All the 32x art is uncompressed, in final most of the static art uses the C42 compression. Everything that uses the 32x VDP is viewable using this version.
- The title screen track has percussion thrown in, as well as most other tracks.
- Sound Test songs are there but scratchy and beepy and even feature songs that aren't featured anywhere reachable.
- Some songs are pretty different from the final, like 000D. Some even have different percussion than the ones in the other Chaotix betas, like the almost unhearable 000F. 0011 is a slower mix of the main theme, 0018 sounds like something out of a Megaman game, and 0025 sounds like a bad ending of sorts. 0015 is a different mix of a track in the final, and so are 0017, 0019, 001B, 001C, and 0021. 0026-0028 are empty, and afterwards begin the sound effects, which are basically the same throughout Chaotix's development. There are exceptions like 0047 or 004B, however. After 0069 there's nothing. The entire game's soundtrack may of been composed before actually making most of the levels. All the musical differences are based on the regular, keyboard notes, not the percussion that was later removed. Strangely, most of the songs that aren't really featured in the levels don't have the beep caused by PWM bugs.
- On the NPC select menu from Time Attack, the music is DIRECTLY from sonic crackers; no difference whatsoever.
- Debug mode is always enabled. (Pause to move around.)
- Time Attack actually works better than normal mode, and uses the same player selection method as the later protos. And by "works better", I mean it holds out without going bonkers for 10 more seconds.
- Time can't go up.
- Selecting World Entrance 1 brings you to an almost exact copy of the World Entrance - everything's identical except for the music, which plays the Combi Select BGM.
NOTE: To play the prototype in Kega Fusion v3.6 and up, the "Fast 32X Timing" option in the 32X configuration tab must be enabled. For older versions of Kega Fusion, a special release, which can play the prototype, was made available here (info) (268 kB).
|Download Chaotix (prototype 1207)
File: Knuckles'_Chaotix_(32X)_(Prototype_1207_-_Dec_07,_1994,_07.15)_(hidden-palace.org).zip (1.34 MB) (info)
|Chaotix (prototype 1207), prerelease version of Chaotix|