Sonic the Hedgehog 2 CD
From Sonic Retro
Sonic 2 CD was either a development name for Sonic the Hedgehog CD or an enhanced port of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit). Many video game magazines referred to the upcoming Sonic game for Sega CD as an enhanced Sonic 2 port. When it was thought to be a port of Sonic 2 it was said to have CD quality music and additional levels that the Mega Drive counterpart did not.
There is also evidence of the port never existing as some people involved in Sonic 2's development have been contacted by Sonic fans and could not remember a CD port.
|File||Date||Source||Title and comments|
After an interview with Yuji Naka, Sega Visions claims that a Sega Mega-CD version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is coming, with extra levels and "special bonus rounds" between zones.
|"Mega CD Sonic Update"|
Short article describing the game as an enhanced version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 called "Super Sonic".
|"Top 100: Sonic the Hedgehog"|
While Mega explains its decision to rate the original Sonic the Hedgehog as the third best Mega Drive game available in the UK, it briefly alludes to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and a Mega-CD game, Super Sonic.
Later in the issue, Mega briefly predicts a Mega-CD port of Sonic 2, but is likely speculating at this point.
Mega reminds its readers of Super Sonic. The magazine pairs this with a screenshot of the original Sonic the Hedgehog, though does not otherwise suggest the two games are linked. The publication merely confirms "high quality" music is on the cards.
Short article about the game, still called "Super Sonic" at this point, and how voice acting will be included.
|"Gutter Talk!: Sonic CD Slips Up"|
UK magazine Sega Force reports that sales of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 in Japan have fallen below expectations, leading to a rethink in Sonic CD's development. No longer will it be an enhanced version of the Mega Drive game.
Brief mention of the game, still referred to here as "Super Sonic", said to be released in Japan "any week now".
- Supergame (February 1992) - Name mentioned as Super Sonic 2: Escape From Ring Zone.
- SegaPro (April 1992) - Confirmation of Sonic 2 port.
- EGM (August 1992) - Sonic 2 CD shown at Summer CES in Chicago.
- Sega Visions (September 1992) - Additional zones mentioned.
- MegaZone (September 1992) - Sonic 2 will be released on MegaCD.
- Video Games & Computer Entertainment (October 1992) - Mega CD port confirmed.
- Mean Machines Sega (October 1992) - Game will be known as Super Sonic and feature deleted levels.
- Mean Machines (October 1992) - Game is once again announced as Super Sonic and also it is mentioned to be near completion. In the end the game wasn't released until September of the following year.
- Mean Machines (November 1992) - Super Sonic will have CD soundtrack and extra levels.
- Electronic Gaming Monthly (November 1992) - Sonic 2 description with unused Sonic CD cutscene.
- Electronic Gaming Monthly (December 1992) - Sonic 2 CD is mentioned while showing images from the unused cutscene.
- GamePlayers Sega Guide - Sega CD port confirmed.
- SegaZone - Mega CD port of Sonic 2 with time travel mentioned.
- MegaTech - This article confirms that the Sega CD Sonic game isn't a port of Sonic 2.
|Sonic games for the following systems|
|| 1991 Sonic the Hedgehog | Sonic Eraser 1992 Sonic the Hedgehog 2 1993 Sonic the Hedgehog CD | Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine | Sonic Spinball 1994 Sonic the Hedgehog 3 | Sonic & Knuckles 1995 Chaotix | Sonic Classics 1996 Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island |
Prototypes Sonic 2 | Sonic CD | Sonic Spinball | Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine | Sonic 3 | Sonic & Knuckles | Knuckles in Sonic 2 | Chaotix | Sonic 3D
|Unreleased Sonic the Hedgehog Games|
Sonic's Edusoft (Master System)
Sonic Sports (Sega 32X)