Sonic the Hedgehog 2Z is a palette and level layout hack of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis by Mystic. The objective is to make a harder version of Sonic 2 for experts who really haven't had a challenge in Sonic for years. In order to do this, Mystic made some exceedingly challenging levels, which are definitely going to make even a master Sonic player beg for mercy in a few sections.
- Teal Isles Zone - This tropical island has been overrun by Robotnik's badniks, and Sonic must fight both the badniks and the terrain, as pits hide around every corner to hinder your progress.
- Jersey Shores Zone - The biggest factory in New Jersey has been taken by Dr. Robotnik, and he's using it to create a large amount of robots. The bright water also makes for a drowning hazard, which cannot be taken lightly.
- Autumn Lakes Zone - The fall has turned this mountainside lakeshore into a beautiful autumn landscape. Unfortunately, Robotnik has filled this zone with traps and badniks. Sonic must clear out the bots, above and below the water.
- Blue Horizon Zone - The blue cityscape has created a beautiful night life, but the evil lurkers have come out of the alleys. Pinball machines create unnatural hazards, and spike pits of doom cause Sonic to have a very bad day.
- Red Caverns Zone - The mountains spike, leaving an underground shortcut to Robotnik's lair. Unfortunately, Robotnik has filled the path with badniks hunting for Chaos Emeralds. Sonic must stop Eggman's efforts and find the exit to the maze of passageways.
- All prior versions (info) (799 kB) (799KB)
- Sonic 2Z v0.45 (released 04/23/02)
- Sonic 2Z v0.41 (released 04/16/02)
- Sonic 2Z v0.40 (released 03/04/02)
- Sonic 2Z Beta 28 (released 02/15/02)
- Sonic 2Z Beta 25 (released 12/09/01)
- Sonic 2Z Beta 22 (released 12/05/01)
- Sonic 2Z Public Demo 2 (released 10/13/01)
- Sonic 2Z Public Demo 1 (released 09/17/01)
- Sonic 2Z Private Beta 2 (released 08/18/01)
- Sonic 2Z Private Beta 1 (released 08/16/01)
- Sonic 2Z Private Beta 0 (released 06/17/01)