From Sonic Retro
Magazine Preview #04 - Emerald Hill Zone Mock-Up Screenshot
| Source: EGM
Alt. Source: GamePro, and others
|Source: Sonic 2 Beta ROM|
Some obvious oddities in the left screenshot include:
- Sonic 1 HUD
- Sonic 1 Green Hill style clouds at the very top
- Sonic is off-centered
- Rings over bridge arranged in arc formation
- Little pieces of cloud reflections in the water (right above Sonic)
- The absence of "wooden knob" at the end of the bridge
- This location does not exist in the game
The oddest of all is the incorrect screen size, which is consistent with preview M01 and M03 since they appear to be from the same source.
Again, the life icon is displaced even the Score/Time/Rings does align perfectly.
The picture was created by Sega, by manually putting the zone tiles and sprites together, and was not captured within a playable game.
So, it's believed to be a mock-up.