From Sonic Retro
Revision as of 15:47, 12 November 2014 by DumbLemon (Added a link of 'The Chaos Layer' alpha.)
MarkeyJester is a general member of the Sonic scene, a Tech Member on Sonic Retro, and a moderator on SSRG. He developes "Sonic" hacks, tools, some minor guides, and offers help on the forums where necessary. He has worked with multiple teams on projects such as Sonic Megamix, The S Factor: Sonia and Silver and Sonic Boom, as well as working and helping out with multiple people on solo projects.
MarkeyJester began on a hunt on the internet to find old Sonic related stuff from his childhood, having not owned a SEGA Mega Drive in years, he wanted to gain some form of nostalgia from his search. He eventually came across screenshots of the Sonic 2 beta levels, and a tutorial on putting them back into the game, of course, his knowledge on binary ROM manipulation was very limited, and didn't know about the existence of emulation. One day, using his school computers, he downloaded an emulator and a few Sonic ROMs to play around with on his home computer, with a guide on editing uncompressed art and a hexadecimal editor he had picked up months before, he began editing the art of Sonic in the Sonic 2 beta ROM, here he had learnt about the tile and palette system, and was on his way to learning more about Sonic hacking and the Mega Drive hardware in general.
After months of working with binary ROMs, he was inspired by videos on YouTube of the ever popular Sonic Megamix, after pursuing knowledge on how they managed to make their modifications possible, he had discovered split disassemblies and their potential in Sonic hacking, and got straight to work on putting in the Super Peel-Out (with thanks to the Spindash guide, which contained a lot of information about the animations, mappings, and plc format), and after moderately succeeding, he incorporated his hack onto it and integrated his level artwork. Shortly before obtaining home broadband, he had made a YouTube video of his hack in play, featuring a water level with half new art, new character abilities, and some new music, which seemed to have impressed many at the time, it encourage those at SonicRetro to invite Markey to the Sonic Retro IRC channel, and the forums.
Of course, things didn't look up too well after a few months of being within the scene, he had offered his help carelessly towards too many people, and was left with far too much work, it was then that he decided to quietly leave the scene. Despite leaving the scene, he continued his work from scratch once again, learning more about the software engine in Sonic 1, and the hardware of the Mega Drive, feeling guilty though about running out on the people he had offered to help, he came back to the scene months later under the alias DrXInsanity to hide his identity, and released his new hack Sonic 1 Brother Trouble in demo form, and obtained Tech Member status upon registration of SonicRetro, of course, Tweaker worked out that it was Markey in disguise right away, but allowed him to remain anonymous until weeks later when he would reveal his true identity.
After cancelling Sonic 1 Brother Trouble, Markey began work on other smaller; projects, tools and other gimmicks, all built to entertain and help the scene. As well as helping in projects such as The S Factor: Sonia and Silver and Sonic Megamix.
In order of creation:
- Sonic Regen (1.0 beta) - Hack (2006 - 2008)
- Sonic 1 Brother Trouble - Hack (2008 - 2010/July/04)
- Sonic 1 SMPS Editor - Homebrew application (2008 - 2009/April/20)
- Project Sonic 1: Two-Eight - Modified disassembly that alters the game's level layout engine (2010/June/24)
- Jester's Challenge - Hack (2010/December/07)
- GetArt - Bitmap to Mega Drive tile/map/palette converter (2011/January/18)
- Sonic 1 50hz Faster Edition - Humorous hack (2011/June/16)
- Sonic 1 Twisted - POC hack (2011/July/15)
- Align Sprite - A tool that aligns bitmap sprite sheets in a suitable manner for SonMapEd (2011/July/29)
- Pana Der Hejhog - POC (Proof Of Concept) hack (2011/September/03)
- Doctor Robotnik's Creature Capture - Hack (2012/April/01)
- Sprite Plotter - Bitmap sprite sheet to Mega Drive sprite data converter (2012/April/15)
- Sonic 1 CDSS Edition - Collect 50 rings, and jump into the stars above a lamppost. POC hack (2012/July/28)
- Sonic 1 Mega Mushroom Edition - POC/Humorous hack - POC hack (2012/July/28 Directly after CDSS)
- Sonic 1 The Ring Ride - POC hack (2013/May/24)
- Sonic Paint - Hack (2013/June/21)
- Sonic 1 The Ring Ride 2 - POC hack (2013/July/15)
- Mnemonic Player - An application to allow one to display and control multiple bitmap images via an assembly like script system (2013/August/30)
- Sonic 1 Smooth Edition - POC hack (2013/August/31)
- Sonic 3D Glasses - POC Hack (Requires Red/Cyan 3D glasses) (2013/November/25)
- Sonic 1 The Ring Ride 3 - POC hack (2014/February/01)
- Sonic 1 The Ring Ride 4 - POC hack (2014/February/09)
- The Naked Hedgehog - POC/Humorous hack (2014/April/01)
- The Chaos Layer - Alpha of The Chaos Layer (2014/September/05)
- I HOG THAT HATE HEDGE - POC/Humorous hack (2014/September/24)
- RevSMPS - A tool to take Sonic 1 SMPS tracks and reverse them (2014/September/24)