Aquatic Ruin Zone
From Sonic Retro
Aquatic Ruin Zone
Aquatic Ruin Zone is the third zone in Sonic 2, and is the token underwater level of the game. Pieces of Roman ruins are dotted around this vast lake, and some of them have tendencies to rise out of the ground in front of you, break off the ceiling above you or sink into the water. There are also arrow launchers built into the pillars that will shoot arrows at you should you pass them.
In the Simon Wai prototype, this was actually the first level.
Instruction Manual Description
|| Roaming Romans infest a beautiful forest and sunken lake. Explore an intricate maze. If you're underwater, breathe the air bubbles to keep from drowning. A countdown begins when your oxygen's running out.
—Sonic 2 US Manual, p. 13
|| The top and bottom of this stage are built completely differently. The loops along the top are a bit different from normal. The water, also, had to have the transparency set exactly right. And then, there are so many places where the routes intersect! From Sonic 2 on, we took a patent in America.
- Grounder - Drill enemy, hides behind walls and appears when Sonic approaches.
- Whisp - Fly enemy, attacks in swarms.
- Chop Chop - Piranha enemy, moves around slowly underwater.
|| Aquatic Ruin Zone
|| ARZ Palette
|| ARZ Underwater Palette
|| ARZ layer deformation info
|| Dynamic pattern reloading for ARZ
|| ARZ misc sprite mappings
|| ARZ object debug list
|| ARZ primary 16x16 collision index
|| ARZ secondary 16x16 collision index
|| ARZ act 1 level layout
|| ARZ act 2 level layout
|| ARZ 16x16 block mappings
|| ARZ main level patterns
|| ARZ 128x128 block mappings
|| ARZ act 1 ring locations
|| ARZ act 2 ring locations
| Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)
Main Article (KiS2)
Music: OSV / OST
Cheat Codes (KiS2)
Welcome to the Next Level
To see all print and TV advertisements, visit the Advertisements page.
Enemies and Obstacles
Scrapped Enemies and Obstacles:
These are cheat codes which can be accessed by inputting button sequences or by various other methods.
Note: in cheat codes, + signifies that the buttons must be held simultaneously.
For a list of all codes, see Cheat Codes:Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit).
- Zone Select: Play tunes 19, 65, 09, 17 on the options screen, + on title screen.
- 14 Continues: Play tunes 01, 01, 02, 04 on the options screen. An incorrect sound command is issued, causing OOZ music to continue playing until a reset.
- Super Sonic: Play tunes 04, 01, 02, 06 on the zone select sound test, an emerald sound triggers, select zone, hold until Sonic appears.
- Debug mode + Slow-motion/Restart: Play tunes 01, 09, 09, 02, 01, 01, 02, 04 on the zone select sound test, a ring sound triggers, select zone, hold until Sonic appears.
- Super Sonic + Debug: Play tunes 01, 09, 09, 02, 01, 01, 02, 04, 01, 02, 06 on the zone select sound test, a ring sound triggers after 04 and an emerald sound triggers after 06, select zone, hold until Sonic appears.