The Sonic the Hedgehog OSV Project
The Sonic the Hedgehog OSV (Original Sound Version) Project is a community effort to create the best possible rips of music tracks from classic Sonic games. The project's goal is to provide a superior-quality collection of consistently ripped, timed, and accurately labelled music, avoiding the mislabellings and low-quality recordings that similar collections exhibit.
Several soundtracks/OSVs have been ripped so far, totaling over 1 GB in disk space. The collection spans from 1991 (Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit)) through 1998 (Sonic R for Windows 95/98), which includes most of the major "classic" Sonic games. However, a few are absent, as users encountered difficulties ripping their soundtracks.
Despite the project's stated goal, several Sonic Retro forum users have expressed concern about the quality of the files produced, and the somewhat outdated methods of the project, and have suggested that a more up-to-date ripping effort be made.
Sonic Sue was able to do a great deal of the ripping herself. However, some games proved to be problematic, and other users stepped in to help with those. Help was provided by:
- Ronchie02 for sparking off this project to begin with, when Sue asked if any music rips were required for the site.
- Luigi Link for ripping the entire Knuckles' Chaotix soundtrack, obtaining four tracks from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Knuckles' Theme, Invincibility, Mid-Boss, and the Game Complete jingle) that Sue was unable to get, and providing the level select cheats for Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
- Overlord for going to great lengths to alter save-states to make the job easier, verifying the tracks from Sonic 3 that were replaced in Sonic & Knuckles, and providing the sound test ID of the latter's somewhat hidden credits theme (hexadecimal number DC).
- Gene Fujimori, for providing the tracklists for both the Mega Drive/Genesis and Windows 95 versions of Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island (a.k.a. Sonic 3D Blast), verifying the song order in the sound test of the Mega Drive/Genesis version, providing a reminder of the names of the jingles at the end of the Sonic R disc, ripping the entire Sonic 3D (Saturn/Windows) soundtrack due to difficulties with Sue's CD, and creating looped versions of the Sonic the Hedgehog CD Japan/PAL tracks.
- PsychoZagal, for ripping the entirety of the Sega Game Gear versions of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-bit) and Sonic Chaos, when circumstances didn't permit anyone else to do so.
- TailChao, for ripping the SegaSonic the Hedgehog soundtrack.
- Biggestsonicfan for ripping the Sonic Gems Collection soundtrack.
|The Sonic the Hedgehog OSV Project - A community effort to rip the best Sonic music possible|
|Sonic 1 (16-bit) | Sonic 1 (8-bit) | Sonic 2 (16-bit) | Sonic 2 "Beta" | Sonic 2 (8-bit) | Sonic CD: USA, Japan & PAL, Japan & PAL Looping | SegaSonic the Hedgehog | Sonic 3 | Sonic Chaos | Sonic & Knuckles | Sonic Compilation | Knuckles' Chaotix | Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island: Mega Drive/Genesis, Windows/Saturn | Sonic Jam | Sonic the Fighters | Sonic R | Sonic Pocket Adventure | Sonic Gems Collection | Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) | Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games OSV|