From Sonic Retro
Thunder Barrier and Magnetic Barrier
It looks like the Japanese releases have been consistent about treating the Thunder Barrier (サンダーバリア) and Magnetic Barrier (磁力バリア Jiryoku Barrier) as separate items.
Thunder Barrier (S3, S&K, Generations, Mania)
- Attracts rings
- Deflects projects
- Disappears in water
- Allows Sonic to 2-step jump (2段ジャンプ)
- Electric immunity
Magnetic Barrier (Adventure 1-2, Advance etc.)
- Attracts rings
- CAN be used in water
Sonic R's version, simply called Thunder (サンダー), is a little different, since Sonic can double-jump as standard and there are no projectiles or electricity in the game, but it still follows the rule of disappearing in water.
All this being said, I'm unfamiliar with how Sonic Lost World treated its version of the item, or how it's named. Since Miiverse is gone, I don't think it's available in the Wii U/PC version anymore.
- It's a good point, although regardless of what happens I think the best plan is to set this page up similarly to what I did with the Water Shield, i.e. explain its role in each game individually, because there are bound to be strange things and weird overlaps.
- I too don't know how some of the newer games handle things. I also can't remember if the magnetic shield protects against electricity in Sonic Adventure - I have a feeling it might, but it's been a while. -Black Squirrel (talk) 13:07, 12 May 2019 (EDT)
- That's a good way of doing it. I think it would be also worth having the game specific name (with reference) before the description. Something like:
- As for the Thunder/Magnetic Barrier, Sonic Generations 3DS looks to be an odd case as well. Apparently it's only in Emerald Coast Act 1, but can also be received as a special skill for the main game by playing Versus mode online. Ideally, we should try to confirm whether or not it's named in-game. The shield in Emerald Coast has the Sonic Adventure style item box emblem, rather than the Sonic 3 style lightning bolt emblem the console version of Generations uses. --Pecky (talk) 14:40, 12 May 2019 (EDT)
- I might add that although Miiverse is now gone, it's still possible to get the shield in Lost World as, as far as I'm aware, an update made it so items spawn randomly on the world map, plus you can get it as a reward for completing missions.
- Thanks for confirming that. So, Sonic Generations HD has the "Thunder Shield" with the lightning bolt emblem and Sonic 3 properties, and Sonic Generations 3DS has the "Magnetic Shield" with the orb emblem and SA1 properties. I think that pretty much cements them as separate entities. --Pecky (talk) 16:25, 13 May 2019 (EDT)